Post Thanks / Like
    its been really cold here - at or below freezing and the car is dirty.....i`m contemplating taking the car to an automatic no touch wash to clean the car and of course to avoid any wax in the automation if at all possible.

next i`d drive the car back into the garage and dry it and then start the polish/wax with porter cable

the concern is during the 5 mile trek back to the garage i`d be picking up road gunk, some salt, maybe some splash from the trucks although in miniscule amounts. so if i dry it using a towel/MF towel, would i technically be increasing the chance of creating swirls during the drying process? and then porter cabling when there is small traces of grit would then create more swirls?

so would Quick Detailing prior to drying or quick detailing after drying resolve any of these issues? is it better just to wait till the weather improves and avoid risk of swirls (car is brand new with no apparent swirls).

Post Thanks / Like
    Regardless Of The Road Debris You Picked Up On The Way Home, The Surface Will Still Be "Dirty" After The Touchless Car Wash. There Tends To Be A Film On The Surface And Some Dirt Remains After A Touchless Car Wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would always recommend a hand wash before you break out a polisher. There is too much at stake if you have a dirty surface and then polish that into your finish.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can feel your pain, driving your new car when it is all crapped up.

I think the 5 mile drive on dirty streets would be the deciding factor for me. Maybe wait till you can get it home in fairly clean condition. I really think a few days without protectant would be less damaging than taking the chance on grinding some sand/salt into the paint.

In my case, I`m using QEW this winter, so I would drive it home, hit it with the QEW process before drying, and then wax away.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    CharlesW - Thanks! Just the info I needed.

I just purchased some QEW, and have been worried about whether it would safely handle the film left after the car wash.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Old Rattle Flat

CharlesW - Thanks! Just the info I needed.

I just purchased some QEW, and have been worried about whether it would safely handle the film left after the car wash.
    One thing that I have never seen mentioned with QEW. I think you still should use two wash mitts, one for above the beltline, one for below and for the wheels. Actually, I use two terry covered sponges. I also use a bucket of clean water and rinse my wash sponge/mitt after doing each panel or two.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    what is QEW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stoneweed1

what is QEW?

ProtectAll Quick and Easy Wash

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stoneweed1

what is QEW?
    Obviously BJ is right about the Quick and Easy Wash.

That`s my bad. I thought QEW was in the acronyms list and it is not.

Sorry about that.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Old Rattle Flat

Don`t worry about this at all. QEW will wash off the dirt even if you didn`t go through the wash first. I just washed a pretty dirty van last night with 1 gallon of mix (had dried dust sprayed all over the rear). What didn`t run off outright was wiped off after. It worked surprisingly well! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    4DCS - I guess my question is "How dirty is dirty"?:nixweiss

Stardard winter fare in my neck of the woods is dried on sand, salt, calcium, and plain old dirt. Do you think QEW would really handle this? I was thinking that I should at least rinse enough off with a wand, that I was able to see that the car was green.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uhh.... well in that case, no I wouldn`t try using it in the usual way. I just meant that it can wash off a "fair" amount of dirt off a car pretty well, so if you want to take it to the touchless and then use QEW it`d probably work.

If I had a car that dirty I might try spraying QEW on the lower panels till it starts running off. If this gets rid of most of the bad crud then I`d QEW wash it. Just an idea.... :nixweiss

Thread Information