Post Thanks / Like
    I have a black Mustang with a bunch of linear scratches, probably from toweling.

This car is driven on sunny days only and probably is only washed maybe once or twice a year. I use a California Duster and Z6 everytime I drive the car.

I used Zaino Z5 this last year, and although it somewhat hides the scratches, in direct sunlight I can see them (garage lights, too.)

I am getting a PC for Christmas (pad kit from Coastal too).

What is my best approach to the scratches?

Am I better off using a glaze and filling the scratches followed by a good carnuba, or removing the scratches with a scratch remover and then dawn washing and reZainoing.

My thought is that although glazes wear off, since I practically never wash the thing, that they would last pretty good.

I plan on keeping this car a long time, so I hate to remove scratches by removing clear coat everytime, as black cars scratch a little everytime you touch them. Seems like filling might be better.

When glazing followed by carnuba, can you still see the scratches when veiwed in the suns reflection and garage lights?? If so then removal is probably better follwed by Z5?

What do you all think??

Post Thanks / Like
    I topped my 70+ coats of Zaino on my black Z28 "garage queen"with the new version of Blackfire. The surface is flawless in natural lighting. Not only did the BF2 cover up some very minor surface marring but it also deepened and added wettness to the black non-metallic color. :bounce Under very bright (500 watts) garage lighting some surface marring is there but so is an intact clearcoat. Also when I really want to show off I can top with P21S. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    sveet, I know what you`re saying. I wasn`t too happy with the swirl-filling/hiding properties of Z-5 either. But that`s the trade-off for using a product with such "clear optics". A Zaino`d car will not tint the color of your paint and produce a brilliant shine. It`s a water-based polymer which has very little to no solid content, which is why it looks so glossy and clear. This clarity, while giving your car an incredible shine, will also make surface imperfections in your car very visible. I also noticed that Zaino itself marrs a bit easily (swirls in the polish layer...not the clear).

A glaze/carnauba combo will do a lot better job of hiding swirls. Will they be invisible under close scrutiny using very unforgiving lighting conditions? No. However, they will be far less visible.

As you said in your post, it is better to fill LIGHT swirls caused from regular detailing than to level your clear-coat every single time you see a few imperfections in your paint. It`s also a good idea to "round over" the top sharp edges of swirls using a mild polish like 3M SMR via RO. I`m currently using Mother`s Sealer and Glaze topped with P21S Carnauba. I did the hood of my wife`s car last weekend (SMR, Sealer/Glaze & P21S Carnauba) and brought the car out into the sun to scrutinize my work. I was very happy with the way it looked.....not only because of the shine, but also because it was hard to find any swirls on the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with those who suggest that using a glaze will fill in the micro-marring that other products do not fill. Such as Z5 which stinks at filling swirls. It`s too bad Sal decided to sell it that way because it doesn`t work like that.

Anyway, for a garage queen, especially a black one, I`d be all over the glaze/carnauba combo. The glaze will take care of your swirls and the carnauba will add a dimension of depth and richness that Zaino can never produce. I also believe that any chance of "tinting" will not be seen on a black car. Personally I don`t believe carnauba tinting exists. At least not from the top quality carnaubas.

Black car + Garage Queen + carnauba = Killer Look. :up :up
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bretfraz

Black car + Garage Queen + carnauba = Killer Look. :up :up
    Black car + Garage Queen + Zaino(long-term protection)+ Blackfire( short term protection with carnuaba appearance) + Carnuaba topper = :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bretfraz

I also believe that any chance of "tinting" will not be seen on a black car. Personally I don`t believe carnauba tinting exists. At least not from the top quality carnaubas.

I personally don`t believe "yellowing" or anything like that exists with carnauba, but as for tinting.....maybe our definition of tinting is different. With P21S, the paint definitely looks a lot darker & richer than with Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could part of the problem be your California duster?

How new is it? Does it look dirty?
    JJU

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intermezzo

sveet, I know what you`re saying. I wasn`t too happy with the swirl-filling/hiding properties of Z-5 either. But that`s the trade-off for using a product with such "clear optics". A Zaino`d car will not tint the color of your paint and produce a brilliant shine. It`s a water-based polymer which has very little to no solid content, which is why it looks so glossy and clear. This clarity, while giving your car an incredible shine, will also make surface imperfections in your car very visible. I also noticed that Zaino itself marrs a bit easily (swirls in the polish layer...not the clear).

A glaze/carnauba combo will do a lot better job of hiding swirls. Will they be invisible under close scrutiny using very unforgiving lighting conditions? No. However, they will be far less visible.

As you said in your post, it is better to fill LIGHT swirls caused from regular detailing than to level your clear-coat every single time you see a few imperfections in your paint. It`s also a good idea to "round over" the top sharp edges of swirls using a mild polish like 3M SMR via RO. I`m currently using Mother`s Sealer and Glaze topped with P21S Carnauba. I did the hood of my wife`s car last weekend (SMR, Sealer/Glaze & P21S Carnauba) and brought the car out into the sun to scrutinize my work. I was very happy with the way it looked.....not only because of the shine, but also because it was hard to find any swirls on the hood.

Absolutely agree with Intermezzo !

Unfortunately, every time you`re trying to remove even ultra light swirls, you `re introducing new ones. So ,hiding is better for a queen car. (IMO)

Serg Conon:wavey
    2002 996 TT ( love her )
    2004 996 C2 ( will be replaced with 997 )
    2005 C 230 SS ( daily )
    2000 Land Rover Discovery ( wife`s )

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I washed my california duster in Woolite the other day. Cool water, per their intructions. Damn! It became a 2 hour process, but it sure is cleaner!

I think I bought his thing about TWENTY years ago! It has certainly done some work over the years...

I`m suprised that the finish of the wooden handle has not improved in 20 year. And, it still has a great big steel hook sticking out of the handle!

19.95 + shipping at many websites

20.00 + tax at Brookstone

9.95 + tax at Walmart

I`m not affiliated, yada, yada...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intermezzo

I personally don`t believe "yellowing" or anything like that exists with carnauba, but as for tinting.....maybe our definition of tinting is different. With P21S, the paint definitely looks a lot darker & richer than with Zaino.

It does exist.

But I`ve only noticed it with Yellow carnauba wax(Meg. #26, Blitz, etc.). I think it has something to do with the small pigments in it. White carnauba, as found in P21s and Souveran, doesn`t do this.

I did wax half of a white hood with #26(yellow), and the other half with P21s(white). In certain lighting conditions, there was a definite tinting on the yellow side. Although hard to notice to the untrained eye, especially if you do the WHOLE car with yellow wax, it was there. It is there, however slight.

:wavey
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On our toys, which aren`t drivers, but garage queens, we don`t use wax at all, just glaze.

Wax is for protection, glaze is for shine, is our thinking.

If I had a car only washed twice a year, and driven on infrequent occasions, I wouldn`t bother with wax.

A glaze only will give you higher gloss numbers than a glaze plus wax. And, there`s that additional chance to introduce marring to the paint surface with an additional step/
    forrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by forrest

On our toys, which aren`t drivers, but garage queens, we don`t use wax at all, just glaze.

Wax is for protection, glaze is for shine, is our thinking.

If I had a car only washed twice a year, and driven on infrequent occasions, I wouldn`t bother with wax.

A glaze only will give you higher gloss numbers that a glaze plus wax. And, there`s that additional chance to introduce marring to the paint surface with an additional step/

I agree with you, Forrest. When I had more time to play with my cars I didn`t use wax at all, I only used 3M or Meguair`s hand glazes. The shine is much better, even if it does only last a week.

Intermezzo... I think the change in color you experience is a light reflection factor. It`s well known that Zaino and other sealants create a silver reflection, which makes a car`s paint look lighter and brighter. Carnauba waxes make paint look deeper, which darkens the paint effect.

sveet... think about dumping the CCD and use MF towels and a good QD spray instead. Demote your cotton toweling to none paint finish duty.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    DavidB,

Is the thought then that in spring I should use my PC with SMR followed by a good glaze and be done with it?

Then each time I drive it, I would clean it off with my MF towels and a QD spray (no CCD).

Cover it and wait till next time I get to drive it.

I am a little confused on glaze longevity. If the car never sees rain and only the QD each time I drive it, can I ecpect the glaze to hold up a fairly long time, or only a couple of QD cycles??

Tom S.

PS : Thanks everyone for the input. I just want to make sure I am taking my car the best possible way.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sveet - I`d suggest at the beginning of the season you do the PC thing, and then glaze. Everytime you drive the car, wash it before putting it away and cover it. When you`re ready to drive it the next time, uncover and glaze it.

Repeat the cycle with each drive.

That`s what I do with the toys. A duster only gets used on the toys when they`re stationary at a show or whatever, followed with MF and QD.

Don`t worry about the longevity of a glaze only if the car`s sitting covered. Just plan on glazing it before you drive it, since it`s driven so infrequently.
    forrest

Thread Information