Thread: layering wax

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m curious about the precise details regarding the numerous posts by the users that state that they have applied multiple layers of a brandname wax.

for example when someone writes that they`ve applied 3 layers of the Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection Wax - does that mean that in the same session (or before driving it anywhere after the 1st layer) that they have wiped on or porter cabled the 1st layer and buffed it off and then put a second layer and buffed it off and then placed a 3rd layer and buffed it off and never driven the car between the 1st application and the 3rd application of Blackfire?

i bring this up because i`ve read some posts in which someone has placed 7 or 9 layers of a wax all within a month. So does the car sit undriven in the garage for a month accumulating laborious layers of wax? or is it driven and additional layers are placed after a wash and dry throughout the month.

an example - after washing and drying and applying a layer of wax, driving it regularly and then 5 days later washing and drying the car and applying another layer of wax. wouldn`t the 2nd wash sort of ruin or take off part of the 1st application of wax? or is the 2nd shampooing of the car ineffective or insignificant in taking off the 1st application of wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any of the ways you mention are possible. When you wash your car, the wash shouldn`t diminish (at least not significantly) the amount of wax/sealant that is there. This is why you should use car wash solution that won`t strip wax.

I currently have about 4 coats of Blackfire on my car. I put two coats on in one session in one day. I applied a layer, buffed it off, then applied it again. Then, about 2 weeks later (after having driven the car) I washed it and applied another two coats to the car in the same manner. Certainly some of the previous application had worn away, but I`m sure it was a small amount. So, I would say I have 4 coats of Blackfire on my car. Some were applied on the same day, and some were applied weeks apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you are doing one layer after another in the same day then you always should wash your car before you apply another layer of anything. Even the lightest layer of dust can create havoc when you wax over it. You can drive your car between layers, you just have to wash it again before you reapply.

You have to understand that things like Blackfire, Klasse, and Zaino aren`t waxes. They are sealants. They are about 10 times stronger than a wax is. You aren`t going to damage them by washing your car. If you are using a soap that is so harsh that you are going to remove waxes and sealants, then you may want to reconsider your choice of soap. Normal car wash soap shouldn`t really damage though.

Not a lot of sealants can be layered multiple times in one day. Klasse requires 24 hours between coats, I believe that Blackfire can be layered more than once in a day, Platinum is suggested at about 12 hours between coats, I`m not sure about Zaino. I`d have to look into that one. Waxes, on the other hand, can be layered as many times as you want in a day. There isn`t a cure time for most waxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my view a layer of sealant or wax is like an acrylic housepaint. It sets quickly initially and is dry to the touch, but requires longer time to completely cure. My personal preference is 3-7 days. With Carnaubas, however, if I am detailing for a friend or relative, I will put a layer on the horizontal surfaces first, then do the vertical ones, and put second coat on the horizontal ones again.

Blackfire II requires a minimum of 5 hours between coats. More if the weather is cooler.
    The perfect shine is

pure satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with Jngr; I thnk you`re confusing polymer layering with wax layering (which isn`t too common or effective).

Zaino can be applied up to 3x per day, with no minimum wait time in between layers (if using ZFX).

When you layer a carnauba product, you`re basically re-liquifying the previous layer, and sliding everything around. As much as I hate to say it, synthetics rule the roost when it comes to durability and layering properties.

Patrick
    Originally posted by mrdetailer

In my view a layer of sealant or wax is like an acrylic housepaint. It sets quickly initially and is dry to the touch, but requires longer time to completely cure. My personal preference is 3-7 days. With Carnaubas, however, if I am detailing for a friend or relative, I will put a layer on the horizontal surfaces first, then do the vertical ones, and put second coat on the horizontal ones again.

Blackfire II requires a minimum of 5 hours between coats. More if the weather is cooler.

Personally, I prefer to warm the hood and tail section of the car in the sun, and allow it to cool, prior to giving it another coat of BF II, although you dont have to wait at all. Wonderful stuff, no matter what your M.O. is !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Patrick

Personally, I prefer to warm the hood and tail section of the car in the sun, and allow it to cool, prior to giving it another coat of BF II, although you dont have to wait at all. Wonderful stuff, no matter what your M.O. is !!

Well maybe CMA Tech support changed their mind, but they told me it`s 5 hours. I love Blackfire too. The only real problem I`ve found is dust collection in my very dry climate. Solved by a Carnauba topper of P21S.
    The perfect shine is

pure satisfaction.

Patrick
    Interesting Mr. D ! I was just going by what the applications sheet said that came with my order, I double checked with what was on the CMA web site....We`ll never know what it takes i guess ! Only our results matter anyway !

Post Thanks / Like
    so a couple of coats of blackfire followed by some p21s should keep my car from being a dust magnet? I`m currently using the meguires three step, and my black car is a complete dust magnet

Post Thanks / Like
    should i top off my bf2 with #26 for the winter, or should i just keep bf2 on the paint as the top wax?
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Patrick
    P21 or # 26, but remember, once youve put that on top of BF, your done with BF, you cant put BF on top of those !

So make sure your happy with your BF results.....

Thread Information