Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve done my best to search Autopia, but as somebody else pointed out you can`t search on "MF." So ... at the risk of asking a redundant question ...

I`ve been using (and loving) my MF towels, washing and drying them as directed (separate from ALL other stuff, no fabric softener, etc.). Here`s the question: My housemate recently washed a couple of them with some scrubber sponges ... :scared ... you know, the ones with that harsh blue/green material on one side. And ... a few flecks of the harsh stuff is, of course, now embedded in the MF towels. I`ve tried picking it out, but -- of course -- what we love MFs for (their ability to ensnare bad doobies) is a problem here. Is there a trick that will enable me to salvage these MFs? or should I just send them on to that Great Detailing House in the sky?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    try hand washing in hot water, if it doesn`t release, then those are good for wheels and jambs:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Lynn,

I`m sorry to say but I would definitely not reused them for the car... If just one of those pieces of material was still embedded in your micro fiber towel and you used on your car. I would think most definitely you could put scratches on your paint, vinyl, trim, etc.. I would recommend as you have the "Great Detailing House in the sky". Better safe than sorry.

With Aloha,

~Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy

try hand washing in hot water, if it doesn`t release, then those are good for wheels and jambs:nixweiss

Great tip! I`ve learned enough on Autopia already to be in mortal fear of any tiny abrasive. (Now, I put old sheets on the ground around the Jag while detailing to keep towels/cloths from getting dirty.) But this is a good idea for giving the "sullied" MFs some useful life. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure you know which ones they are. How about an X with a permanent magic marker or laundry marker.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Drop a couple of bucks on a fine-toothed comb from a beauty supply shop...or maybe one of those headlice combs from a drug store.
    370HSSV

Post Thanks / Like
    good idea Taxlady..then no mix ups....:xyxthumbs

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn`t the particles be just as likely to damage the paint on wheels and door jambs as the rest of the car?

For $5 worth, or less, of towels, I think I might just get rid of them.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, indeed, Taxlady! I`ve taken that step already, like one I picked up on another thread -- marking the G for glass ones.

And yes, I`m prepared to toss `em. (Wish I knew where Charles gets them for just $5!) But didn`t want to do so unnecessarily.

Comb idea is worth a try too. I didn`t even think about the cats` flea combs. <slappin` my head>

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lynn

(Wish I knew where Charles gets them for just $5!)

Go back a few posts, find Pakshak, send him a PM. He just might be able to help you.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    This is why I`ve mostly gone back to using 100% plush cotton towels. Seems to me that my MFs are always holding some tiny little grits or micro leaf/twig-ish stuff. Love them for glass and interior. Love brand new ones for QD and final drying. But...they sort of scare me with their ability to hang on to paint-scratching little things.:shocked

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put mine in the sink (clean sink!) and get some hot water and some soap and rub the soap into the towel, create lots of lather and they come out pretty nice :xyxthumbs

I think this is an ok way of doing it and its much easier than having to mess around with a washing machine

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you`re not using hand soap to wash the MFs. Hand soap doesn`t rinse out as well as laundry soap or shampoo.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    On a related not (I hope), do you wash all of your detailing cloths together (ie., the ones you used on the glass, leather, wheels, paint, trim...)? Do the chemicals mix or do they all wash out of the material?

Post Thanks / Like
    no it`s related...I personally wash them three times and all together....anything I use around the engine or grease I usually toss or use for oil changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information