Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question for you guys,

I have a 2000 black accord and the paint is dull. I waxed it not nearly often enough now I am looking to bring back an some amazing shine and depth to it. I intend on using Blackfire paint protectant and put a coat of S100 over it. My question is what is the best product to use prior to the BF? I happen to have a #7 in my garage but I am not sure if that is the best thing to use before hand? Would it be better to clay then polish then BF ? any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    My plan of attack would be:

wash

clay :I would not skip this

swirl remover (3M SMR, or equal , if I`m not mistaken #7 is a polish?)

maybe a Dawn-wash to get all residues out

Black Fire -routine

S100

Happy detailing

Christiaan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. But just for my own edification:

I will clay to get all the impurities out of the paint and remove all the gunk and old wax and the like.

Then the SMR will then remove any like scratches and swirls and add oils to the paint to make it "healthier" for lack of a better word.

Then the Blackfire routine which leads me to believe there is more than one step involved with it will act as a protectant to well to protect what I just achieved from my last steps. Then the S100 I want to use to make it look better.

left out the dawn step after the SMR I guess this is just as you say get all the residue off.

Man seems like I better clear out a day for this one! thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dengsxr

Thanks for the feedback. But just for my own edification:

I will clay to get all the impurities out of the paint and remove all the gunk and old wax and the like.

Then the SMR will then remove any like scratches and swirls and add oils to the paint to make it "healthier" for lack of a better word.

Then the Blackfire routine which leads me to believe there is more than one step involved with it will act as a protectant to well to protect what I just achieved from my last steps. Then the S100 I want to use to make it look better.

left out the dawn step after the SMR I guess this is just as you say get all the residue off.

Man seems like I better clear out a day for this one! thanks

Yeah, you`ll definitely need a day. I would also recommend using a random orbital buffer. It cleans and polishes much better than most of us can do by hand.

My fear is not that you have scratches and swirl marks since you haven`t waxed it much, but rather that you need an oxidation remover such as Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish. If you want to add other waxes or sealants on top DACP is without equal IMO.

Blackfire is a two step process, but is actually better if another one is added (a glaze) Here`s what I would do for an incredible shine.

wash

Use a wax remover. 3M Adhesive, Tar and Sap remover can be bought at Walmart for about $4. General Adhesive remover is good also.

clay -- Clay is easier with the wax removed.

Dual Action Cleaner Polish.

Wash Car again. (I had a friend whose finish was ruined with Dawn so I don`t recommend it now.)

#7 Glaze. CMA found Meguiars Machine Polish, and I found S100 Gloss Enhancing Cleaner to increase the shine over BPEP alone. #7 is mild and should have a similar effect.

Blackfire Paint Enhancing Polish or if you want more durability Klasse All In One.

Blackfire Paint Protectant. Make sure it`s the new one, and applied in very thin layers. The new Blackfire requries at least 5 hours apart of you want to apply more than one coat. (recommended on the horizontal surfaces for extra durability)

S100 applied a week or 2 later, giving the Blackfire time to completely cure.
    The perfect shine is

pure satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mrdetailer

The new Blackfire requries at least 5 hours apart of you want to apply more than one coat.

Curious where you saw/heard that? I put multiple coats on back-to-back.

Post Thanks / Like
    what would be the best polish to go with if I didn`t use Blackfire? I have the day off tomorrow and wanted to get started so I was looking at heading to the autopart store so I am limited to what they have. Meguires #9. And how does that differ from a #7. Is it just more/less abrassive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s #9 is a swirl remover and glaze. #7 is just a glaze. So if you have swirls or need some light cleaning effect, #9 will do that. If you are already using a cleaner or some swirl removing product, you don`t need #9. You can use #7 to add gloss to the paint after you`ve cleaned and prepped it. #7 will also fill in and hide any remaining swirls pretty well. If you don`t want to wait for BF, you could try a pure carnauba like #26 or 3M`s Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax or Mother`s Pure Carnauba Wax. If you get desperate, you could always try Gold Class wax as you can find it anywhere. But don`t expect it to last through winter.

If you want to just get some protection on it until you get the Blackfire, maybe just pick up a bottle of Cleaner/Wax. Clay the car and then work on it with the Cleaner/Wax. It can remove a fair amount of oxidation. Plus, why do all that prep work just to have to re-glaze the car and then do the Blackfire routine. If the cleaner/wax restores the gloss you want, then when you do get the Blackfire you can just put on some polish if you want, put on the BF GEP, and then the BF protectant. If the cleaner/wax didn`t cut it, then you can use DACP or #9 or whatever you were planning on, followed by the BF routine. But that means buying a product you may never use again. Cleaner/waxes are not particularly Autopian, but they are easy to use and pretty effective. Plus, it might help you refine your application technique with a fairly forgiving product first. And seeing how much it can clean may give you an idea of how bad (or not bad) your paint really is. This may help you decide what cleaners you need (if you need one) when you do the BF routine. I don`t know... The Cleaner/Wax is a pretty out-there suggestion, so feel free to ignore it if you want to.

Post Thanks / Like
    CMA states you can put down the new formula of BF protectant layer after layer without waiting for cure times. Just lay down buff off and add next layer. NO 5 hour wait needed between.

Thread Information