Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calipers

Post Thanks / Like
    How long would you expect the paint to last on new factory painted calipers. New VW GTI 18 wheels, red cailpers(not powder coated, but painted). What would you use to keep them new looking. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you use the proper products on them, I would think thye should last the life of the car. I use a wheel cleaner on mine during a large detail the use a small sponge to wash them when i wash the car. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    TC, may I ask what products you use, also do rocks and sand blast the finish off them?

Post Thanks / Like
    The trick, obviously, is to keep them very clean. And don`t let harsh wheel cleaners sit and soak on the paint. This will dull the finish over time. Use the mildest cleaner possible and clean often so "sitting and soaking" is unecessary. Spray with water before spraying with cleaner. Use a foam bottle brush to clean the caliper through the wheel.

The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    A silly question guys, but I am a novice at this: can we paint the calipers without having to remove the wheels? How did you guys do it? Thanks.:nixweiss
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    There has been a number of threads on painting calipers. BradB did a detailed `how to` last year, other people have also given details on painting. And yes, you need to remove the wheels.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ashsarna

A silly question guys, but I am a novice at this: can we paint the calipers without having to remove the wheels? How did you guys do it? Thanks.:nixweiss
    You might want to also search the web for other people`s instructions - caliper painting is pretty much the same for most cars.

Without removing the wheels? No way! :p

-Good prep

-Good paint

-Don`t paint your brake drums no matter what the voices in your head tell you. :nono

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!! I am planning on it quite soon. AND I will try not to get carried away with the PAINT
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    The best thing to do for painting calipers is to remove them from the vehicle - but, I realize it`s not always an option.

dbody - got a GTI 337, eh? Me too! I use the P21S Gel on my wheels and calipers, then I use a small (1") paint brush that`s been slightly modified (cut a little shorter, and wrapped all metal with duct tape) to whisk at the calipers.

Seems to work pretty well...not that it matters, as StopTechs are next on the order list...

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a couple pics of my S4 brake painting in-process. I sprayed them on the car. I masked everything very well. If spraying, be sure to cover EVERYTHING to protect from overspray. (note old car cover on the car) I also sanded/filed down rough spots on the castings on the calipers to make them look better. It was a pretty easy job. all four were done in an afternoon.

Also notice in the background of the third shot how I painted the hub area near the rotor. Many people overlook this. It makes the whole wheel assembly MUCH nicer looking and easier to clean. It matches the inside of the wheel when mated up. DO IT!

The face of the hub should be unpainted. The bronzy looking stuff is anti-seize compound for the wheel.

The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! What kinda of lift is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Goes up about 3 feet. Perfect for wheel work, muffler jobs, changing oil, etc. And painting calipers! Comes in handy.

The best part is, it only cost me $50! A friend in the Jag club had it and wanted to "upgrade" to an in-ground unit. At a club meeting he offered it to anyone who wanted it. I raised my hand fastest! He even delivered it to my house. The best deal I ever got! :up
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by geekysteve

Seems to work pretty well...not that it matters, as StopTechs are next on the order list...

Definitely a good idea. It takes me almost as long to clean my rims as it does the entire rest of the car. I`m planning to get Axxis Pads for my bimmer, which have gotten pretty good reviews so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    BradB,

Is that Audi transfers on the calipers?

Looks superb :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    top job! You sprayed them, have only ever bruch painted calipers, just pop the pads out and paint away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information