Post Thanks / Like
    Where can I get Tanner`s Preserve conditioner here in Canada? I`ve checked Walmart and Canadian Tire and they don`t have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think I`ve seen Tanner`s Preserve around here. Maybe ask leather shops, saddle stores, or shoe repair shops. Canadian Tire stocks "The Tannery", but not this.

In case you`re thinking of The Tannery - PHEW! I took a whiff of this stuff once and think it stinks. I wouldn`t get it just because of that. Very few leather conditioners smell "nice" and I think the next one I`ll buy is Mothers separate cleaner and conditioner. My friend bought some of this and it smells pleasantly of coconut when applied. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sorry I don`t know where to get the product in Canada, but I will say it is worth the search if just for the smell :p

I used it on my 1987 Mitsubishi Starion ESIR and it gave it that new car smell. Can`t really describe it other than it smells like a new car does. When I sold it in 2001, that was one of the things that floored the buyer. He contacted me 6 months later and said the smell was going away and wanted to know what to use. I said tanners preserve, he tried it, and called back saying it worked No idea how it compares to lexol (much more $$$ I believe) for conditioning, but it did wonders for the 14 year old leather in the mitsu.

VV

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, interesting. I`m a sucker for nice smelling stuff. Maybe I should try finding this too... Does this stuff smell like leather or "new car scent"?

I think Jngr or someone said that Lexol stank, so I probably won`t be trying it myself anymore.

EDIT: sorry, I just re-read the part where you said, "Can`t really describe it other than it smells like a new car does." :p

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Lexol cleaner works great, however the conditioner leaves me slimy when I sit with shorts and it doesn`t smell good (glad for ozium). I tried megs. gold cleaner/conditioner and it sucks. So, I`m off to find the Tanners.
    Brett Laws
    Currituck, NC
    93 F150 XL 4x4 RCSB

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a sample of the Leather Conditioner made by Pinnacle and used it on our cars and it brought back that New Car Smell. :p When I ordered some Pinnacle products last month from Pinnacle Wax dot Com, I included some Leather Conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, the Tanner`s stuff stinks! In cold weather it does not soak in well. In the humid weather of San Antonio it can streak and it at times seems to wear off, leaving certain areas off colored from the areas where it is still on.

I would use Lexol over the Tanner`s. Pinnacle`s leather conditioner though is my weapon of choice as it is a lanolin based product that truly conditions and the added poly`s give the leather a slightly slick feeling without being greasy. I have also noticed that the seats I have been treating with the Pinnacle for some time have a greater water repellancy to them.

Anthony :bounce
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really have your heart set on Tanner`s, you can get it at Wal-Mart in the detailing section.

Anthony-While i dont have a leather interior on my car, I have read that you can`t treat leather below 50F, as it is too cold and the leather is too hard to absorb the conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stinks as in smell or stinks at its function? Like I said, I don`t have anything to compare it to as far as function. It worked well on my `87 Mitsu, and works well in my C5 Vette. I`ve never tried it when it was cold though. I just rub it into the leather (I use my hands) like I was rubbing lotion into my skin. Let it dry and buff it off. How do you apply Pinnacle`s version?

VV

Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

Personally, the Tanner`s stuff stinks! In cold weather it does not soak in well. In the humid weather of San Antonio it can streak and it at times seems to wear off, leaving certain areas off colored from the areas where it is still on.

I would use Lexol over the Tanner`s. Pinnacle`s leather conditioner though is my weapon of choice as it is a lanolin based product that truly conditions and the added poly`s give the leather a slightly slick feeling without being greasy. I have also noticed that the seats I have been treating with the Pinnacle for some time have a greater water repellancy to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve bought it in K-Mart. Do you have K-Mart in Canada? If not, I’m sure SOMEBODY sells it online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by DFTowel

I’ve bought it in K-Mart. Do you have K-Mart in Canada? If not, I’m sure SOMEBODY sells it online.
    Not anymore! :p I think the last one closed down like 10 years ago.

Even department stores like Wal-Mart are scaled-down quite a bit compared to their US versions. The "detailing section" sounds like it`s about 1/2 the size of what it is in the US.

Oh well, I have to run out of my EO stuff first anyway, which probably won`t happen till next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Steve,

You are right. In colder weather leather kinda closes up on ya but I have found that if I use a hair dryer and warm it up then the conditioner, which is Pinnacle, works great.

Now I may have just had a bad experience with Tanners or it may be since I was already using Pinnacle that the standards were far too high.

Vette,

When I said "stinks" it went to the idea of function and not smell

I use to apply leather conditioner by hand but have come to find that it can result in more streaks or uneven application. Also when it`s 98 degress outside with 100% humidity, one seems to be mixing in just as much sweat as conditioner :down

Pinnacle is the best leather conditioner I have used to date. I find it`s best applied via a sponge, slightly dampened. I apply one light coat, allow it to soak in as I do other things then come back with another coat and after about another 15 minutes buff it out with a towel or dry sponge.

The key is "less is best" because if too much is applied then one will find it looks great, all sleek and shiny, but will also be removed after a few entrances and exits by the driver leaving splotchy spots. Not good.

It also has a wonderful banana/tropical/coconut smell to it. They went with a "new car" smell for a bit but then went back to the original smell. Terry though has seemed to cut back even on the original smell.

"The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with the Zaino cleaner and conditioner....... out of those listed Zaino smells the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Tanners that good? I see it everytime I go to Walmart in the detailing section.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did my 98 accord`s leather with the Zanio leather in a bottle and it feels and smells great. Very happy with the results. I got it in the Toronto area.

Thread Information