Post Thanks / Like
    Check out this Miata Forum thread. Seems like a good idea, maybe get a little more life out of a rubber part that fails pretty often but is not exposed to UV. Think 303 would help in this instance?

Thanks!

Robert
    Good judgement comes from experience, which often comes from bad judgment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I consider 303 and all similiar products to be protectants with UV protection additives. I treat all rubber seals ( exposed or not ) with these products. This has been my protocol for over thirty 30 years and seems to work. Never have had a failed seal, cracked dash, pre-mature hose failure, etc.:xyxthumbs :wavey

Hey Porterdog,

Are you a dog lover. I have 3 ( Great Dane, Boxer, and Rottweiler). We are getting ready to breed the Great Dane (9 y.o) in order to have his off-spring after he passes . What great companions.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Are you a dog lover.

You bet! Yours sound great, I really like Rottweilers. Porter is the first dog I ever had and is just a fantastic animal- good hearted, brave, sense of humor... I kick myself for getting him neutered; keep hoping that pet cloning technology will develop in time to have some more made, lol!

Thanks for the info re: protectants; kind of what I figured but I`m relatively new to having cars I care about. There`s a lot to be said for a beater :p

R
    Good judgement comes from experience, which often comes from bad judgment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by porterdog

Porter is the first dog I ever had and is just a fantastic animal- good hearted, brave, sense of humor... I kick myself for getting him neutered; keep hoping that pet cloning technology will develop in time to have some more made, lol!

R
    Well stated. If a dog can`t bring a smile to your face everyday you must be dead.:xyxthumbs . The Rottweiler and boxer are females and we had both spade. It was a necessity with Denver ( Grand Dane) not being neutered They are as sweet as can be. Dogs are not born mean, people make them that way. Good luck with Porter, I am sure she will bring you many years of companionship and love. :wavey

Oh yes, 303. If I can reach and it`s rubber, I will coat it.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Another miata owner? class! you should go check out the shaved lenses thread, theres a link to a website that has some good hints for miata details and such...

As far as the 303 thing, i don`t think it will work...

Don`t get me wrong, it won`t hurt, but those boots never had a chance.. i`ve been through 4 pair in 3 years in my 96, and have tried everything.. the best results i`ve gotten is with the talc.. but you really have to load it on and rub it in well for it to have any effect.

the problem with these liquid sprays is that they evaproate over time, leaving the boot just as dry, if not drier than it was when you applied it, and causing the rubber to crack because of the changing state of moisture... The talc keeps it dry, reduces surface friction, and helps to stop the boot from drying out..

haven`t found a fix yet though....

g`luck

Post Thanks / Like
    If this boot is unaccessible 303 would probably not work. Talc sounds like the better short term cure. If this is a constant problem with the Miata, Mazda should be informed and a design correction established. 3 or 4 boots in 6 years is unacceptable. I had a Rx7 (1979) for 11 years and this component never failed in that car.:nixweiss :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, here`s the deal with this particular boot...

If you take off your console, then take off your shift boot, then take off your shift arm, you will notice, attached at the bottom of them, two rubber boots, which are attached right above the ball and screw assembly that connects the shifter arm to the transmission.

They are there as a layer of protection to stop heat and noise from entering the cabin from the tranny, as well as to stop any debris from the undercarrige entering the car. They are exposed to the elements all of the time, as well as the heat from the transmission, and the constant movement from shifting and such...

In all reality, they don`t do much.. you could remove them without much change, but i`m a bit crazy in the respect that I have to know they are there and working, even though I know they are useless... Same if I know they are broken..

I don`t even know how the first person found them, and why it`s become such a widespread thing.. The internet can do that, I suppose..

Anywho, I`ve replaced them and played with them, just because... There`s no big problem with em... But you are correct, mazda should have fixed it by now...

Thread Information