Post Thanks / Like
    The Camry, 93, has been driven from Montana, to California. And back to Montana. And back down to California. All during the winter, and all within the same 6 month period.

It has picked up a pretty thourough amount of.... well.... it`s not exactly rock chipping.

If I look at the front bumper, it appears to be almost pebbled. And when I run my hands across the bumper, it feels almost as if it were coated with salt. I`ve washed, but have yet to try any filler or similar product.

Anyone care to recommend a treatment? I would appreciate it!

(please go easy on the acronyms... I feel like an idiot, but I`m figuring them out...)

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Tristan

to solve your acronym problem:

http://www.autopia.org/acronyms.php

and/or:

http://www.freewarehof.org/acronyms.html

As for the chips: have you tried claying?Could be embedded dirt/salt/road grime/...that washing can`t remove.

Hope that helps

Christiaan

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mother`s clay kit is about 13 dollars at wal-mart..

If you use it, do the rest of the car first, and the bumper last since the bumper will have more stuff that the clay will pick up, and you want the clay as clean as possible for the main part of the car..

Also, you can use car wash soap and water instead of the supplied detailer spray as lube- and save the spray to use as detailer spray..

3m Swirl mark remover can help some for the teeny peks that look like sand marks- it won`t remove them, only make some of the finer ones less noticeable. If you don`t have a polisher (pc) then it`s hard to get swirl mark remover to work. Before I had a pc I made do with a drill and sanding disk backing plate with a white sears foam polishing pad glued to the plate. That whole rig was about seven dollars, not counting the drill.

The swirl mark remover comes in two `flavors` depending on if your car is light or dark- so any stuff left in the pits is less noticeable I guess.

You can get more little things out with harsher abrasives, like fine rubbing compound, then follow that with swirl mark remover to get whatever marks the compound left out..

Never use that turtle wax red compound.. It`s evil..

A 93 model may have so many marks that a bumper cover repaint could be the only way- not an expensive job..
    97 A8 4.2 pearl

00 A6 2.7t black

Thread Information