Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to make sure I have all the right stuff. I will be using Zaino as the sealant for the car but wanted to make sure I have the paint surface prep correctly. The car is about 2 weeks old, but is black and has some minor swirls and scratches. I zaino`d my previous car so I understand the process for Zaino and what I did before was just dawn wash and Z1 or ZFX. I want to take this to the next level. I just purchased a PC 7424 and will be using that for the Zaino as well. But for the paint prep work I was going to do the following...

1. Dawn Wash

2. 3M SMR w/ CMA white pad

3. P21S GEPC w/ CMA white pad

4. Dawn wash

5. Zaino w/ CMA grey pad

Sanity check... Does this sound right? Do I need to Dawn wash after SMR? Any tips on applying Zaino with a PC, I`ve only done it by hand. How does P21S compare to Pinnacle`s or Medallion`s PCL? I may also Clay as my first phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want something better in the natural product stripper category (dawn wash). Dash isn`t that effective IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plan sounds good, but I do not see any need for the second Dawn. It would not hurt but a Z7 wash should do the job.

Congrats on the new car.:xyxthumbs :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Plan sounds good, but I do not see any need for the second Dawn. It would not hurt but a Z7 wash should do the job.

Congrats on the new car.:xyxthumbs :wavey

Agreed, if you are buying Z7. If not then a wash with regular ol car wash soap is fine.

As for applying Z viz PC there have been several threads about this very subject so do a Search and you`ll find them.

The P21S GEPC is milder and leaves a slightly better gloss than PPCL but they`re pretty darn close. Both work well with a PC, maybe the GEPC is a little easier to use. Both blow away Medallion which is much more aggressive.

Good luck and post some pics in the gallery when you`re done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I`ll replace the Z7 wash with the second Dawn Wash. Should I also do a wash after step 2 (SMR)? Or do I just apply GEPC over the SMR?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by gagnu

Okay, I`ll replace the Z7 wash with the second Dawn Wash. Should I also do a wash after step 2 (SMR)? Or do I just apply GEPC over the SMR?

Applying the GEPC after the SMR (no washing) is fine. As long as you fully work in the SMR there should be very little residue to remove and the paint should look terrific.

Post Thanks / Like
    Argh! I called CMA Thursday and placed my order for overnight delivery, the lady that took my order said it`d get here today. Looks like I`ll have to wait another week unless I can find the stuff locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the stuff came in on Sat, totally unexpected. Couldn`t work on it Sat cause it rained all day. So Sun it was, I didn`t get to start till 2:30pm and finished at 11:45pm , here`s a break down of the day/night..

1. Dawn Wash - dried with a CWB and Absorber. I used the method of just letting the water run down the car, this took away the majority of the water.

2. 3M SMR w/ CMA yellow pad - I started with my trunk hood and started with a little too much SMR, at first I didn`t know how long to work the SMR in, but I just let the PC do it thing. I continued with the rest of the car, using the right amount of SMR the PC was a piece of cake.

3. P21S GEPC w/ CMA white pad - This stuff is amazing, applied with the PC, took it off with a white cotton towel. The car had a really deep black shine.

4. Z6 Wash - used same drying method.

5. Z2 w/ grey pad - At first it looked like using the PC did use more Z2, but the lighting wasn`t all that great so I was using more Z2 then I needed to. Removed with a white cotton towel.

6. Z6

7. Z2 w/ grey pad - The 2 oz Z2 mixed with ZFX was just enough for the 2 coats of Z2. It was nice applying it with the PC, it applied a very thin coat on and the starting point was dried when I finished.

8. Z6

9. Z5 w/ grey pad - Again it was real nice applying the Z5 with the PC. Removed with white cotton towel.

10. Z6

I didn`t get a chance last night or this morning to really look at the paint. But from what I saw last night and this morning, the paint has a nice deep black shine/gloss and the reflection is almost mirror like. Hopefully I have some pictures tonight.

Thread Information