Post Thanks / Like
    Any tips from the experts about maintaining a car`s finish while traveling? I`ve been in and out of rain showers over 3 days. What should I have been doing instead of sitting at the motel looking at drops all over the car...

1. Hunt down a car spray-wash after every rain shower? or

2. Try to wipe off the rain when it stops with a MF towel? or

3. Just leave it (and let the drops dry) until I get home and give the car a good bath?

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    When I`m on the road I carry a plastic bin with a mitt, shampoo, chamois, a few towels and some QD. I do let the car get a little dirtier than I normally would, but if it gets to where I can`t stand it I`ll stop at a do it yourself wash with a wand.

If you`ve got a good rain you can just wash it in the rain to get the road dust off. When it stops raining use the chamois to dry and you`re good to go.

Don`t stop at too many car washes as some of them are not the best quality. In a previous thread I talked about a car wash in Wyoming that left hard water spots all over the car.

One more thing, don`t leave the plastic bin sealed with a bunch of wet stuff in it. You can get a nasty mold smell. Drilling air holes in the bin might help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to QD while traveling if not too bad......

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    if it is a well maintained vehicle, then a good QD (partial to my Spray and Wipe) should be enough to remove water spots, road dirt and grime. Don`t let it dry on the vehicle and you never know like previously stated how hard the water is where you are traveling...have a good amount of MF towels and an Absorber

artificial chamois with a QD. and you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me see if I have this straight: If the car finish is well maintained, and it gets rained on, would you consider the rain water "safe" to just blot off the car using large MF towels? Then follow with QD?

Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Pack up a duffle bag with all your car cleaning supplies and go to a do it yourself car wash.

I wouldn`t dry it off if it rains and there is water on it....even if its clean. Depending on the area, you deal with acid rain, so there is stuff in it.

If you take car of your car religiously, wax it when your suppose to....it should be well protected in that you can let it get dirty and not have a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I carry a small bottle of Protect All`s Quick and Easy Wash and some QD in my trunk, along with some towels, tire protectant and window cleaner. I can wash my car in the hotel parking lot and QD it in less than an hour.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t because the rain contains pollutants that you don`t want to be rubbed on your surface. Esp if you just finished driving, all of the road dirt flies on your car via the rain.

The best thing to do is keep your car waxed. It will protect your finish until weather permits.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve washed my cars in the rain many times. The only problem is that other people think your nuts, but so what?

It needs to be coming down pretty good so you have enough water. Just put a little shampoo on the mitt and wipe it down. When I think the rain has stopped I`ll dry it with the chamois.

I don`t do it all the time, `cause you`re going to get pretty wet. But it`s good for camping trips or sometimes when staying at a motel.

I`ve never had a problem with pollutants in the rain water. If your rain water is that bad I think I`d move.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I go on a campingtrip I have with me(for carcare that is):

MF`s

shampoo

QD

bucket

sponge

The day before I allways put on a fresh coat of Z: realy helps to get rid of suicide-bugs, birdcrap,raindrops,etc.

Some campingplaces don`t allow carwashing , others do.But I allways find a place I can handwash my car.

Christiaan

Thread Information