Thread: Poorboy`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone ever use Poorboy`s Professional Polish before? If so what do you think?:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    I just recieved a sample of their Wipe and Shine, carnauba polish, and a microfiber towel. I have yet to try it though.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the Polish with 100% Carnuba and the Spray & Wipe and love`em. Both products are very easy to use, in sun or shade. The Spray & Wipe is very concentrated and a little goes a long way. It does an excellent job of cleaning. I actually used the Spray & Wipe to clean both of my vehicles without water. And both were filthy when I started. No scratches or swirls and the finish was as clean as if I had normally washed.

I followed with the Polish w/ 100% Carnuba. It is also very easy to use and leaves an incredible shine. No abrasives and it cleans and shines in one step.

I have traded many e-mails and had couple of phone conversations with the owner, Steve. He is very knowledgable and has been in the paint and body business for a long time. The products are used by several car clubs and some of these cars are somewhat rare and very expensive.

I have given up Zaino and have converted to Poorboy`s Polish. It`s just too easy and fast for me. I cleaned and polished our Expedition in 2 hours this past weekend. I would normally take me 1.5 hours just to wash and dry. I can do our Accord in under an hour.
    2003 Honda Pilot EX-L

1989 Honda Accord LXi

Shine by Poorboy`s

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also have tried the Spray and Wipe and Polish and have a differing opinion of the two. As a final finish, I love the Polish. Extremely easy to use and a fantastic slick, glossy finish. Did I mention eeeeeeeeeeasy to use? I did my wife`s Taurus a few weeks ago and so far it is beading very nicely. But, as a paint cleaner I think the polish leaves allot to be desired. Anything more than fresh water spots and ultra light surface contamination and the polish just doesn`t do the job. It does nothing for swirls which is one of the things the label says it takes care of. On a pre-cleaned and properly prepped surface, I love the polish.

The spray and wipe........perfect for those times when the finish is maybe just over the threshold where you can safely QD. When I tried it, the car hadn`t been washed in two weeks and while it did do a great job of cleaning, I found that to really lift and suspend heavier dirt and grime I had to spray allot of product. I wasn`t able to even finish the Taurus with the 12 or 16oz spray bottle. There were also a couple of times when I could actually feel the dirt when wiping off with a mf towel. Not something I would use as a replacement to a standard two-bucket wash. I would use it in door jambs, under decklids etc, and maybe on very lightly soiled surfaces but nothing more.

Poorboys products definetly have their place and are quality products but I think Steve is trying to bill them as something more than they are. Does the polish do the job of a good paint cleaner and protectant in one step....no. Klasse AIO worked much better, IMO. Does the polish do a great job as a final finish....you bet. Same for the Spray and Wipe......it can go where no other QD can and do a fantastic job but it can`t replace an honest to goodness wash.

My .02.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting product. Glad to see both point of views! I will visit the website.

I have seen other waterless washes and just wonder how they can be equal too or less abrasive than a traditional wash? Doesn`t seem like enough surfacants are present to safely lift the dirt away. Maybe they hide the swirls they create?

Thanks for pointing out a new product (at least for me).
    David

2008 MINI Clubman S

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Post Thanks / Like
    Yhea, the phone conversation I had with him he was telling me I could replace washing vehicles by just using the spray and wipe. I don`t think I want to be explaining to my customer`s I only used a spray bottle and towel to clean their car.

I also don`t know how you would clean the tire. He said it takes off brake dust from the wheel but what about the tire? White letters? Don`t think it`ll clean that off.

He was also telling me I could replace my 3 step paint proces w/ just the poorboy`s polish. I don`t think something can be that agressive, bring up a great shine, and also leave a layer of protection. At $60 a gallon it is expensive though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intel486

He was also telling me I could replace my 3 step paint proces w/ just the poorboy`s polish. I don`t think something can be that agressive, bring up a great shine, and also leave a layer of protection. At $60 a gallon it is expensive though.

He says that for times when you need to remove oxidation, light scratches, swirls, etc, you should apply it with a coarse towel. Something like a shop rag. For good finishes micro fiber or foam is preferred.

I agree, can`t imagine it replacing a Pro`s Duz-All or Meg`s DACP or even Klasse AIO but it really does work very well as a final finish.
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo

He says that for times when you need to remove oxidation, light scratches, swirls, etc, you should apply it with a coarse towel. Something like a shop rag. For good finishes micro fiber or foam is preferred.

I agree, can`t imagine it replacing a Pro`s Duz-All or Meg`s DACP or even Klasse AIO but it really does work very well as a final finish.

I`ll try to test it out tomorrow then. I plan on running over my truck again w/ Pro`s Swirl Remover to get those final swirls out. Last time I did it I was in a big rush so I didn`t do a good job. I`ll then put a coat of Profection on most of the truck but leave some room free for me to test his polish out as well as the new formula of Blackfire.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll be trying the wipe and shine out tomorrow on a blue highlander. I`ll tell ya how it works.

I`ll be trying the polish on my truck sometime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve....you`re becoming quite the internet junkie . Don`t those twins and the biz keep you busy enough LOL.

I anticipate using the Spray and Wipe on my vehicles when they are slightly dirty. Like I said, just over the QD threshold. Maybe one of these days we can hook up and you can show me how you use it and save me from wasting more product than I have to.

I may even try it out tomorrow on a Saab I`m doing. I know the car is pretty well maintained so it should`nt be very dirty.

Good to cya here. Now get back to work and get me my gallon of Spray and Wipe.

Natty
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy(steve) I have been looking for a waterless wash and am very interested in the wipe and shine. I plan on ordering it for the winter months. I have a quick question for you (or anyone else who would like to offer input), when used as a waterless wash will it remove the wax(it seems to be stronger than other QDs yet your polish is carnauba based)?

Second question is any idea on the approx durability of the carnauba polish (it seams like a winner in shine/application and I plan on using it as a topper to a sealant like AIO)?

Thanks.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thanks Steve for the quick and detailed reply!! I am itching now to try these products.:up
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Thread Information