Post Thanks / Like
    I just read the thread about how to get snow off of the car and it got me thinking. A few people mentioned going to the self serve carwash and rinsing/washing there. Sounds ok, however, even though it is brushless, what about the soap at those places? Does it strip wax? If so, maybe more harm is done since I`d rather have a dirty car which is covered with many layers of wax than a clean one with no wax at all. Any thoughts?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winter washing definitely does cause some problems and compromises. I do use the DIY wand washes and one touchless wash in our area. The touchless mostly for the under car wash it has. If you have a garage, (I do), there will usually be a few days during the winter when you can do some clean-up and possibly some waxing. The Quick & Easy Wash product is something I am looking forward to trying this winter. Right now I am trying to find some place that has an indoor wash bay that I could rent for an hour or so to wash my car. There is a rental car place not far from me and I am hoping they might let me use their facility and water with my soap, bucket and wash mitt. I offered them $5 to use it each time. So far no answer. There might be a problem with their liability insurance that will kill the whole thing.

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not one, but two places within a few blocks of me will let me use their wash room on Saturday mornings. One may let me in during the week if they are not using it. Wash, wax, whatever I want. One is a repair shop with a bay with a floor drain, the other is a car rental place with a wash room where they clean up the rental cars. Check around, maybe you can be so fortunate.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my method of getting through the winter:

As long as water isn`t freezing on the car and it`s not freezing on the ground I wash my car.

My pre-wash rinse takes twice the time as normal (to get crud and / or salt off)

Wash

dry

ASAP in the garage for further drying.

Freezing : as painfull as it is to see,I rather have a "dirty" car unscratched than a clean car with scratches.

We`re kind of lucky in Belgium : winters are more wet than cold, most winters we have no more than 2 to 3 weeks below 0Ă‚°Centigrade (32 Fahrenheid?)

Christiaan

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the soaps used in brushless washes are strong, so you may loose some wax, although most seem to work by blasting dirt off. For me the pressure is to high. Recently I used one whilst on hoilday, the water was very dirty and left the car looking in a worst state than before. When it dried out, I had sand and other horrible things left on the paint - so I had in fact been sand blasting the car :down

I doubt all places will be anywhere near as bad as the one I went to, but be careful.

In winter I wash the car when possible and add wax whenever possible. My paint is protected by Autoglym and I just top with Blitz.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RBorge

I just read the thread about how to get snow off of the car and it got me thinking. A few people mentioned going to the self serve carwash and rinsing/washing there. Sounds ok, however, even though it is brushless, what about the soap at those places? Does it strip wax? If so, maybe more harm is done since I`d rather have a dirty car which is covered with many layers of wax than a clean one with no wax at all. Any thoughts?

I have a self serve carwash near me and I am concerend

as to what kind of soap they use.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these places ??

Post Thanks / Like
    I am concerned about the soap also. I am going to try Mothers Trigger Wash with a mitt at the DIY "Baywash". (See The Veed`s excellent review here.) I still have trouble with the fact that the water may not be all that clean at these DIY places but what else can I do? I almost hesitate to dry the car off afterwards and may just use the spot free rinse and just drive off. If the water is dirty on top of the car being dirty than drying may scratch. On the other hand the use of a wash mit may scratch too! Tough call.......

I do use QEW as my primary wash because I live in a condo. If this is possible and the car is not too dirty, this could be the ticket. It may not freeze because the water is removed from the car quickly and it doesn`t get in body seems if you are careful.

I HATE WINTER!!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    This topic gets discussed every year about this time. You guys might want to do a search about winter washing from last year and read the threads. Might be some interesting posts and comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you dry the door seals, etc. off. I`ve heard stories of doors freezing shuts along w/ locks and windows. Of course, you all actually live where their is a winter so you have more experience w/ that than I do. All I know is driving in the rain really gets my truck dirty!

Originally posted by cvcaelen

We`re kind of lucky in Belgium : winters are more wet than cold, most winters we have no more than 2 to 3 weeks below 0Ă‚°Centigrade (32 Fahrenheid?)

Christiaan

Yhea, I`m lucky too. We usually only have a 1 or two days where their is actually a threat of a freeze and it usually happens at night
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only use waterless washing all year round...just need more product and more towels and an easy touch in the winter months. Also need a nice garage for the winter....I do use self service washes for my undercarraige and wheel wells only.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RBorge

what about the soap at those places? Does it strip wax? If so, maybe more harm is done since I`d rather have a dirty car which is covered with many layers of wax than a clean one with no wax at all. Any thoughts?

Unless the dirt eats at the wax faster than soap does.

Really it depends on the wax whether it`s durable enough to stand up to the soap. I think most sythetic waxes will.

I usually just rinse, that and I wash by hand during the winter.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Thread Information