Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best way to clean your car? I`m Meguairs Gold Class shampoo. Should I get a lambskin applicator? 100% Cotton? Please help. I want to make sure I`m doing this right, because I think this where all my problems started from.

spiro

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by spiroh

What is the best way to clean your car?

Carefully!

Soap is you personal choice. Pick what you like and use it. I use Pro`s Cherry Suds. I use a 100% cotton wash mit (switched from Microfiber to this. Like cotton better).
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    A microfiber mitt and Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo for me !

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo with Lambswool mitts unless it`s extremely dirty, then I use a cotton chenille mitt.

By the way, you can`t put this issue to rest because as influential as personal preferences are individual vehicles at times have minds of their own and require different treatments.
    The perfect shine is

pure satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, and this is the only one that should count(even though it don`t), cotton chenille covered sponge and P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re having "problems" it sounds like you`re getting swirls from washing? First, make sure it`s really the washing, and not the drying phase or some other activity where you rub the paint.

Then use a quality wash mitt. I like recommending genuine lambswool mitts (you can tell because the inside is leather) because you know what you`re getting. Synthetic polyester mitts have the potential to scratch, and "100% cotton" mitts may not actually be 100% cotton.

As Intel said, soap is personal choice. Most work well enough, but some offer slightly better lubrication than others. As for cleaning and "shine enhancement" I have no idea and I probably couldn`t tell the difference.

Once you have good products, you have to ensure your techniques are good. Use the 2 bucket wash or hose out your mitt before dunking back into the soapy water. Don`t rub hard into the paint or do any scrubbing, just let the mitt glide over the paint gently. If something is stubborn, go over it lots of times or get it off with some other product. When you feel the amount of soap going down in the mitt (less slippery) or you think the mitt might be getting dirty, time to rinse it and dunk for more soap.

If you`re working in some place with high winds or lots of dust, this adds an additional hazard because dust will stick to the car while you`re drying...

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    being the zaino fan I am, I use 100% lambswool mitts, with Z7. If the car is extremely dirty however, I mix in 50/50 with Z7 and Gold Class Shampoo. This increases the cutting action and gets the car cleaner, faster, and easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use Gold Class, and I use two real sheepskin washmits. Not only are they easier to find than cotton, but I can comfortably wash my car knowing it`s safe. I don`t have to wonder if maybe it`s not really 100% cotton, as many mitts claim to be but are not actually.
    -Chuckmotor

Post Thanks / Like
    Where to go for quality & best pricing for 100% cotton, lambswool and other good wash mits & coral sponges, etc?

Thanks,

-D-

Post Thanks / Like
    All depends for me...Platinum when I am not using carnauba or am starting a FULL detail, other wise American Shine Carnuaba Wash when I am just doing some exterior maintenence. Terry cloth sponge for now, but going to pick up some MF`s soon.

Oh yes, I also tried one called Hollywoods..some company from the Seattle area. SUDS LIKE CRAZY! Anyone try this stuff?

Post Thanks / Like
    Microfiber wash mitt from NeatItems and shampoo from Griot`s or P21S or Pinnacle on daily drivers and Z-7 on garage queens
    2002 996 TT ( love her )
    2004 996 C2 ( will be replaced with 997 )
    2005 C 230 SS ( daily )
    2000 Land Rover Discovery ( wife`s )

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by KCDoug

Where to go for quality & best pricing for 100% cotton, lambswool and other good wash mits & coral sponges, etc?

Thanks,

-D-

Yes i`d like to know as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by KCDoug

Thanks,

-D-

A while back www.tacscar.com had some great prices on 100% cotton chenelle mitts. I bought 4 of them and am happy with them. Although washing chenelle mitts isn`t fun as I always have `leftovers` I can see in the mitt. I dont worry much they are usually pretty deep in the nap.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a natural sea sponge ($25.00) and Eimann Fabrik Power Wash +. It seems to suds up longer than Meg Gold Class. Okay, I know "suds" don`t clean a car. Can I help it if I like `em a lot?:shocked

There are 3 or 4 good sites for stuff. Aside from what has been mentioned already, you could check out www.properautocare.com (Classic Motoring Accessories)

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s the difference between a $25 natural sea sponge for washing cars and a less than $10 natural sea sponge from the bath/cosmentic section of the pharmacy?
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information