Thread: why dawn wash?

Post Thanks / Like
    i notice all the pro detailers wash their car with dawn, but why do you guys wash with dishwashing liquid? I`ve been told time after time not to wash with dishwashing soap bc it not only removes wax but it produces oxidation. Is there something im missing, or am i just being told lies?:nixweiss
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    Like a lot of questions, a Search will provide answers.

The simple response is that Dawn removes waxes, oils, and fillers during a wash as it is quite alkaline. So a smart step prior to a full detail job or between polishing and polymer sealants.

Post Thanks / Like
    supposedly removes wax and other oils off the finish to allow for proper surface preparation.

Doing it once or twice a year and followed by a good detail regime shouldn`t harm the clear in anyway.

The "don`t use dishwashing detergent" school of thought is mainly for the everyday person who doesn`t understand that it removes all the surface protection and don`t follow-up by waxing their vehicle the same day it`s washed.

Also, repeated use of a alkaline wash can damage the clear.

For a detailer or avid enthusiasts, it`s a non issue.

For an everyday person just washing the dirt of their car, it could potentially be very harmful to the finish of their vehicle.

Paco

Post Thanks / Like
    As a side note, Consumer Reports did a study on dishwashing liquids recently. They rated Ivory as the most powerful, with Dawn as the weakest (if I remember correctly). I guess depending on your pre-cleaning needs, you might want to keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on what system you are using, dawn may not be necessary. If you are using klasse, then AIO will clean your old wax and oils off the paint. No need for dawn. If you are using only carnuba, then it doesn`t really matter if you have oils or a bit of old wax on your surface because carnuba doesn`t need to bond to your paint. Use P21S pant cleaner b4 your carnuba and you should be set.

Zaino is the only ? for me. I gather Z1 is slightly abrasive, but I don`t know if it`s enough to clean off oils from an SMR. Zaino`s whole philosophy is that you should dawn the car the very first time you apply zaino, then once you are within the zaino system, you should never have to dawn again. Just wash with Z, QD with Z, clay with Z 2x a year, and apply z1 z2/z5 when necessary.

Dawn really has no place in my cabinet. I know others may disagree. That`s cool. To each his own...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShadowMan

As a side note, Consumer Reports did a study on dishwashing liquids recently. They rated Ivory as the most powerful, with Dawn as the weakest (if I remember correctly). I guess depending on your pre-cleaning needs, you might want to keep that in mind.
    The best rated product was Ivory Ultra, but they said that all of the detergents made for good degreasing ability and didn`t test this. The test they wieghted heavily on was the number of dishes any given amount of dishwashing liquid could clean before it stopped cleaning. This probably has less to do with "degreasing power" (chemical strength) and more to do with "how much soap do you get per oz" (concentration).

I`ve only used detergent once in a small part of my hood to strip something, but don`t otherwise ever see myself needing a Dawn wash as part of a scheduled detailing plan.

Thread Information