Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Black Mazda MPV that is about 2 months old and I have not been able to wax it yet because we are not allowed to wash our cars in Virginia right now I noticed a piece of "rail dust" ,from what I have been able to research. I Clayed the area after washing that little bit of the hood and the Clay bar did not touch it!! Any other suggestions?? If I need a detailer to fix this what method should he use??? Any help would be great!!!

Nathan

Post Thanks / Like
    What brand are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, I find that little phrase "a piece of rail dust" confusing. Rail dust is usually little particles that cover a big area of the car, not just one single speck... I wonder if this is maybe embedded dirt in the paint from the factory?

Also, you can wash your car (assuming this is a water use ban). Do a search for Protect All`s Quick and Easy Wash. Then buy some bottled water and your set.

Post Thanks / Like
    agreed, rail dust would typically be small specs all over you vehicle, typically on horizontal surfaces. You sure thats the problem you`re dealing with?

As for not being able to wash your car, if you have a garage, remove anything of value and drag your garden hose under the door, or attach to a spigot inside the house (ie from washing/laundry tub) and run it into the garage.

uhh yeah I was cleaning my garage floor and walls in anticipation of painting them officer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your answers. I should have been more specific. I have about 12 to 15 spots on the hood. I do not know about the roof because I have a minivan and have not crawled up there. I am taking it to the dealership in an hour and I will let you know what they say. There is a REPAIR INFO from Mazda that I printed out talking about this very problem. I am taking that with me in case they try to weasel out of fixing it.

Nathan

Post Thanks / Like
    The guy I talked to said that they NEVER let the cars they fix go thru the car wash. They only hand wash the vehicles. I was happy to hear that! I am going to take Digital Pics with a newspaper to prove the date before I drop it off in case they scratch it. He did a couple test spots and got the raildust off. I know you guys were wondering If I was correct about it being raildust, but the guy looking at confirmed that is what it is. My van was brought by boat to LA and then by rail to Virginia so it had quite a bit of time to pick stuff up.

On a side note, I took one of my PakShak MF towels and let him use that when he was cleaning off the clay. He was amazed! They use USA made cotton towels but of course they cannot touch the MF. He said that he is probably going to buy some. I was happy to promote our good friend at PakShak.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Nathan

Thread Information