Post Thanks / Like
    I am as newbie as can be and when I posted this q the first time, one response was posted. The sad part is that the database crashed before I could read the response!! :sosad So now I have to repost in the hope that some people offer up some suggestions.

I just bought myself a `96 T-bird that has been kept incredibly well. :xyxthumbs The previous owner rarely drove it, and always kept it garaged. The one disappointing thing he did was take it to a detailer twice a year. That in itself isn`t disappointing. What is is that he never bothered to ask the guy what products he was using for the detail.

The car is a blinding pearl white color, and like I said earlier, it is in stellar condition. The paint is smooth to the touch (though not glass smooth). What would be a good newbie way of detailing the car myself for the first time without screwing up or undermining its already perfect finish? I`ve already cleaned and conditioned the leather interior with Pinnacle`s cleaners, and it did a great job!

I`ve read oh so many posts on this site and have learned volumes of information.

Anybody with any ideas, I`m listening. Thanks for the help.

ice_nyne
    My `96 V8 Thunderbird

"Everybody knows the Bird is the Word"

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if the paint isn`t as smooth as glass then a good first step would be a clay bar treatment. Mothers and Clay magic are two good choices for that task. The Mothers kit can be purchased at Wal-Mart, and I like that one. Clay magic can be found at AutoZone or an automotive refinish distributor.

Since the paint is in great shape, you should not need to do any swirl removal or use an abrasive product. After the clay use a polish or glaze, something like Meguiars #7 or 3M IHG should do the trick. Then seal with a wax.

OR

After the clay you could use one of the very popular polymers. Zaino and Klasse come to mind.

A search should yield lots of how-to info on all the options above.

Congrats on the new car!

-Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if you want it to be glass smooth then you`ll want to get a clay bar and use that on it. Like laynlow said, AutoZone carries `ClayMagic` and that is probably about the best you can get over the counter. That will take out the bumps you feel in your paint.

As far as protecting it... I guess the best advice would be to do some searching and ask some educated questions once you`ve read about what your options are. There are literaly a dozen ways you could go. It all depends on what your final goal is.

Since winter is coming on, I wouldn`t worry so much about apperance as I would about protection. I usually carry 2 different regiments for my car. A summer one and a winter one. I could care less about carnuba when its 5 below outside. I just want my car protected from the salt and crap that they put on the roads out here. What are you looking for exactly? Protection or perfection?
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in sunny southern california, where a harsh winter means we we get rainfall. We don`t know the meaning of harsh winter here. I`m looking for the perfect shine, and as I said earlier, I`m looking to do so without damaging/lessening the great shine I already have. I guess I am trying to prolong it.

I`ve done countless searches and surfed so many posts with opinions on so many wash/clean/polish/wax regiments that I can`t make heads or tails of it all!! Aargh!
    My `96 V8 Thunderbird

Post Thanks / Like
    To get you started, - since the paint is already good- just some glaze and wax-- 3m Imperial hand glaze, or mothers sealer glaze or whatever the mcguires clone of that stuff is-- followed by caunauba wax-- blitz is super stuff I hear- really easy to apply and get good results.

I think it`s easier to find blitz in california--

If you get a clay kit, save the quick detailer spray that comes with the kit and use soapy water as the lube instead..

The quick detailer is better used as quick detailer than as clay lube...
    97 A8 4.2 pearl

00 A6 2.7t black

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wouldn`t say my paint finish feels rough. It is actually pretty smooth; it`s just not as smooth as glass.

If I were to forego the claying step, what should the order of my wash/polish/wax regimen be?

Should I go with Dawn as my first step to strip my car of whatever layer of wax it currently has? Or should I use some kind of protectant car shampoo since I am going to only polish and wax? I`m so confused!!!

ice_nyne
    My `96 V8 Thunderbird

Post Thanks / Like
    You can just used a dilute mixture of Dawn. I would DEFINATELY not skip the clay step, though. A properly clayed surface will make your wax or sealant look significantly better and last much longer. Also, the results are simply incredible!
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Post Thanks / Like
    Car wash soap is pretty much the same. There isn`t one brand that will protect your car better than another. That isn`t what its for. You just want it to get soapy enough to lift the dirt off your car without scratching it in the process.

Spend some more time with the search function to sort out what you are confused on. The proper process to doing your car has been discussed a thousand times. It is basicly like this...

wash

clay

polish

seal

wax

You need to search to find out which products are right for you to use on those steps. It is all based on how bad you car needs it and what you are trying to accomplish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jngrbrdman, I noticed in all of my searching, that you have a white car as well. What regimen/product line(s) have you found to work best on a white car, if you are going for a great reflective shine?

ice_nyne
    My `96 V8 Thunderbird

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found several things to work well. Currently I`ve got this setup:

AIO

SG

SG

LS

P21S

Souveran

P21S

This has given me a pretty unique shine. I would skip the Souveran step next time though. IMO P21S looks as good anyway. Plus it doesn`t have the dust problem that Souveran has.

Next year I`m going to give Zaino a shot. Its about the only product that I haven`t tried on my car yet. As long as I can put P21S over the top of it then I`ll be happy. There is the talk about a new formula for Blackfire too. I`m excited to try that too. Blackfire looked great on my car. I`ll have to make an album for you of my car and label the pictures with what products were being used at the time. Maybe that will help. White is definatly a tricky color to work with. Improvements in apperance are pretty hard to spot sometimes. Its pretty impressive when you see it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was fortunate enough to get in on the new Blackfire test. I am going to run Zaino on one of my SUV`s and the new BF on the other. I am looking forward to comparing them directly, especially through the winter.
    -Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Jngrbrdman. I`d love to see some photos whenever you get the chance...don`t want to imposition you.

By the by, I am assuming that your routine is listed in the order that you use them. I am still getting a handle on all the abbreviations.

ice_nyne
    My `96 V8 Thunderbird

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. That is my process if the surface is already washed, clayed, and swirls polished out. That is just my apperance regiment.

AIO= Klasse All in One

UPP= Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection

SG= Klasse Sealant Glaze

P21S= P21S carnuba wax

Souveran= Pinnacle Souveran carnuba wax

LS= Pinnacle Liquid Souveran carnuba wax

I`ll try and get some pics organized for ya. :xyxthumbs

Thread Information