Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    At least to me it`s a new trick.

I`ve been detailing a 1997 GMC Work Van since about 8 o`clock this morning, finished now thank god. But during the detail, I encountered a problem that many, many people have come across when detailing either their vehicle or somebody elses vehicle. And that`s those stubborn tar spots that won`t seem to budge.

I encountered this exact same problem today while detailing this work van. It looked as if it had just followed directly behind the truck laying the tar, it was horrible. I started claying as you would normally do. Sprayed the lube on surface I was working on and began claying. NOTHING, every single spot was still there. So I went and got the Bug & Tar Remover, blotted it on the spot, let sit for about 15 minutes, wiped off with my MF....NOTHING.

At this point I was ready to give up on getting this tar off, until I looked into the garage and seen a bottle of Simple Green staring back at me. I thought, that stuff can get out some of the most stubborn stains I`ve ever came across, why can`t it aid in getting off some tar. So I grabbed the bottle, grabbed an empty spray bottle, and diluted the simple green 50:50 with hot water. Went over to the truck, sprayed the diluted simple green as a lube, let it sit for about a minute and began claying...it was amazing, everything that wasn`t a scratch or stone chip came off with very little rubbing...I`m happy with the results.

So, if you come across that tar that just won`t budge, grab your Simple Green, dilute it down and go to work on that tar...I guarantee you won`t be disappointed!!!!!

Only one question, will a diluted Simple Green solution damage the paint? I didn`t have any trouble with it damaging or staining the paint, but I`m not sure if continued use of this would eventually damage it or not.

I wouldn`t use this diluted Simple Green as your lube everytime, just for those real stubborn stains.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think simple green is a non-caustic degreaser so it shouldn`t harm your paint.

I guess you could save your older claybars for this purpose. You wouldn`t want to use the clay bar on your hood or door panels again
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool tip! I`ll have to remember that a few weeks from now when I give my wife`s car a semi-annual detail (only get to it twice a year amazingly enough....) :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Neat tip! Thanks. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intel486

I think simple green is a non-caustic degreaser so it shouldn`t harm your paint.

I guess you could save your older claybars for this purpose. You wouldn`t want to use the clay bar on your hood or door panels again

I used an old clay magic blue bar that I had used on a vehicle before hand...it was getting dirty as it was, so I decided to use it. I used it generally on the wheel well area of the van, which was pretty caked with tar.

I was just amazed at how easy it got out even the biggest tar spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Or get $.99 of that Poster Tack stuff that Clint wrote about a couple weeks ago:p
    370HSSV

Post Thanks / Like
    gonna have to try that

thanks
    Get out and Detail your car TODAY!

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mmmph

...Or get $.99 of that Poster Tack stuff that Clint wrote about a couple weeks ago:p

oh wait.... you dont even need the simple green lube with that stuff - its the magic clay that will get anything off anyways!!

Post Thanks / Like
    WD 40 on a soft cloth, then wash, then clay. Cheap , easy and I can still use my clay bar Just another thought.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent almost two hours today cleaning the rocker panels and the rear side bumpers on a MB C320 today. I used the Mothers clay bar with the Meguiars Wipe N Shine. It took MANY passes but I was able to get all the tars, rail rusts and other surface contaminants off.

I will give it the Simple Green a try next time. Thanks for the tip.

Kenneth

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kenneth

I spent almost two hours today cleaning the rocker panels and the rear side bumpers on a MB C320 today. I used the Mothers clay bar with the Meguiars Wipe N Shine. It took MANY passes but I was able to get all the tars, rail rusts and other surface contaminants off.

I will give it the Simple Green a try next time. Thanks for the tip.

Kenneth

You shouldn`t have to exert as much effort next time if you keep up with the car. The next time will probably be in 6 months to a year, maybe more.

Also, a lot of people don`t even use Simple Green on their wheels, none the less paint because of it`s strength. What`s the deal? My understanding was that SG is a degreaser.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I understand, Simple Green is a non-caustic degreaser as Intel said, so it shouldn`t harm your paint...but I diluted it just in case...I didn`t want to take any chances with somebody elses vehicle.

You also aren`t going to leave the SG on there long enough for it to really start damaging the clearcoat. So it should be all right.

Originally posted by JustinTRW

You shouldn`t have to exert as much effort next time if you keep up with the car. The next time will probably be in 6 months to a year, maybe more.

Also, a lot of people don`t even use Simple Green on their wheels, none the less paint because of it`s strength. What`s the deal? My understanding was that SG is a degreaser.

Post Thanks / Like
    the ultimate-

handi-tak and simple green together!

..see the thread `clay experiment` if you didn`t already..

:doh
    97 A8 4.2 pearl

00 A6 2.7t black

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sorry, I understand that SG removed the contaminant on your car this time. A lot of other chemicals would have also. :nono It`s like using a flame thrower to light your cigar!

Please folks, use chemicals in proportion to the job at hand. There are a LOT of effective and less invasive chemicals on the market than SG. I don`t want to steal your thunder, AuroraV8, but SG is nasty stuff and I highy recommend you NO NOT use it on your paint.

The negative effects will not be apparent right away but I guarantee you the accumulative effects of the damage to the surface will show up eventually. It is a harsh product that will eat into the surface.

I have gone into this repeatedly. (Do a search.) I use to use this product until I proved to myself the damage it did to the clearcoat on my Speedline wheels. :scared
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Brad B.

I`m sorry, I understand that SG removed the contaminant on your car this time. A lot of other chemicals would have also. :nono It`s like using a flame thrower to light your cigar!

Please folks, use chemicals in proportion to the job at hand. There are a LOT of effective and less invasive chemicals on the market than SG. I don`t want to steal your thunder, AuroraV8, but SG is nasty stuff and I highy recommend you NO NOT use it on your paint.

The negative effects will not be apparent right away but I guarantee you the accumulative effects of the damage to the surface will show up eventually. It is a harsh product that will eat into the surface.

I have gone into this repeatedly. (Do a search.) I use to use this product until I proved to myself the damage it did to the clearcoat on my Speedline wheels. :scared
    I`ve spoken with some professional detailers (as I used to use Simple Green on my wheels) and they pretty much concur with Brad B.`s statement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information