Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys please help

tried engine kote on my s2000 and my dad`s lexus lx400 the stuff came out very spotty (some areas seemed to shine and others just left shinny run marks) and looked worse afterwards

cleaned it off his with mag apc-plus but my rad. hose looks aweful

what am i doing wrong?

Thxs

btw i didn`t dilute it and used an old windex bottle

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe you used too much. If you use less, it might not drip. I only have experience with armor all, though...:doh

Post Thanks / Like
    you need a really high quality bottle for engine kote. It needs to be able to put out very very small spray "specs". (can`t be called drops, thats too big)

The onyl bottle I have found good enough for this, is from home depot. It is a pro. line zep bottle. Yellow head, with purple trigger.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by samiam513

you need a really high quality bottle for engine kote. It needs to be able to put out very very small spray "specs". (can`t be called drops, thats too big)

The onyl bottle I have found good enough for this, is from home depot. It is a pro. line zep bottle. Yellow head, with purple trigger.

I picked up 6 of those bottles from HD last week when I got my gallon size jug of Engine Kote, W-Dressing and APC+. Those bottles are great. I`ll be trying the Engine Kote tomorrow.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo

I picked up 6 of those bottles from HD last week when I got my gallon size jug of Engine Kote, W-Dressing and APC+. Those bottles are great. I`ll be trying the Engine Kote tomorrow.

please let me know how you make out..

thxs

bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Bass, I had the same problem. I think I`ll go check out HD for those bottles, though. However, what I did was to mix it with water at 1:1 and just spray everything more liberally. It only leaves streaks where the product ran but there wasn`t any. If it`s coated and runs, the runs don`t show up. It`s pretty neat. It doesn`t get thicker where it pools either. I don`t know how, but it doesn`t. So for now, you might just try spraying everything more.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I used the HD Zep bottles w/Engine Kote yesterday and to my dismay, I also had the spotting problem. The spots were only on the battery cover and washer fluid reservoir top. I noticed the Zep spray bottles, while able to pump out a nice misty spray, also have a tendency to drip big blobs of product at the beginning and end of the trigger pull. This is happening on all 6 of the HD Zep bottles I got no matter what product is in them. It happened with the Glass cleaner concentrate, W-Dressing and now the Engine Kote. I happened to be at Lowes yesterday afternoon and saw a bottle that looked exactly like the squatty, Griot`s Garage spray bottles so I purchased one. I gave it a quick try again with Engine Kote and with much better results. It puts out the same fine mist as the Zep bottles but no dripping at all. It was a bit more exepnsive though at $3.79. One nice thing about the bottle is it has many more dilution scale markings on it.

The Engine Kote needs a very fine mist....not a soaking. The large droplets the Zep bottle was letting go during the trigger pull is what caused spotting in my application.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo

Well I used the HD Zep bottles w/Engine Kote yesterday and to my dismay, I also had the spotting problem. The spots were only on the battery cover and washer fluid reservoir top. I noticed the Zep spray bottles, while able to pump out a nice misty spray, also have a tendency to drip big blobs of product at the beginning and end of the trigger pull. This is happening on all 6 of the HD Zep bottles I got no matter what product is in them. It happened with the Glass cleaner concentrate, W-Dressing and now the Engine Kote. I happened to be at Lowes yesterday afternoon and saw a bottle that looked exactly like the squatty, Griot`s Garage spray bottles so I purchased one. I gave it a quick try again with Engine Kote and with much better results. It puts out the same fine mist as the Zep bottles but no dripping at all. It was a bit more exepnsive though at $3.79. One nice thing about the bottle is it has many more dilution scale markings on it.

The Engine Kote needs a very fine mist....not a soaking. The large droplets the Zep bottle was letting go during the trigger pull is what caused spotting in my application.

Did the Lowe`s bottles have a white head with blue trigger, nozzle and screw-on ring? I got some of those, but the 32oz size that was about $1.99 or something. I saw the bigger ones that were more expensive. Maybe I won`t bother with the HD bottles, then.

I would still suggest mixing the Engine-Kote with an equal amount of water. It worked much better for me after I did that. You can spray a bit more to get more complete coverage but without putting on too much product.

I guess if anyone is an Engine-Kote die-hard, they could try the Meguiar`s sprayer that is specifically for Engine-Kote. It is part # D-9943 and is a 32 oz. bottle with sprayer.

If you are real interested, the APC+ bottle is D-9912 and the W-dressing is D-9942 (32 oz) or D-9842 (16 oz).

Thread Information