Post Thanks / Like
    I have done it a couple of times and I`m really starting to doubt it`s effectiveness at removing a nice layer of wax.

Perhaps, at the end of 3-4 weeks when the wax is hardly left, it gets the remaining bits off.

With a fresh layer (1-2 weeks old) - it seems that it requires multiple washes to get any decent amount of product off.

I`m starting to think it`s more a myth based on people who maintain their vehicles badly. Sure if you don`t wax every month and after 6 months of no washes - dawn would be very harse on the clear as it`s been exposed to the elements and probably has micro surface abrasions thereby allowing the acidity of Dawn to effect the clear significantly with repeated washes.

For a highly maintained car or even one with has been taken care of several times a year - I highly doubt it effects would be noticed - if it even does anything.

Using a something along the line of a APC+ would be more appropriate in my opinion or Prepsol. :up

Paco

Post Thanks / Like
    The Valugard Neutralization system will remove all wax and sealants from your car. I`ve used it. It`s pretty good stuff. But really, you can skip the dawn wash from your routine. I would probably just:

1. Wash with car wash soap.

2. Clay the vehicle.

3. Apply a mild polish like AIO or PPCL if you don`t need to remove any swirls.

4. Apply your sealant or wax of choice.

Steps 2 and 3 should remove all previous layers of wax and polish. Dawn is an extra unnecessary step.

Post Thanks / Like
    i now use meg`s all purpose cleaner (not + just the norm) for de waxing. It has ratios on the back fo the bottle, one is for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Realize this, the Dawn wash thing was taken from the Zaino systems suggested procedure. In my opinion dawn is supposed to remove any remaining wax after a thorough cleaning in preperation for the Z. Dawn is not something I would`nt do more than once or twice a year (it is harsh) and is not a miracle wax stripper. It`s myth has seemed to have outgrown its actual ability. I have done it once when I switched to Z and it did an alright job but 50/50 alcohaul water mix is what really worked. I think the Dawn thing got its cult like loyalty from being associated with Zaino, even though the Zaino website suggests not using it often. You are sure to get widely differing and strong opinions on this, but like I always say, go with what YOU feel works best. I happen to agree with you on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    there certainly is some merit in what you are saying. I used a very warm Dawn wash in an attempt to strip numerous carnauba layers off one of my cars prior to establishing a new baseline. I found the same thing. There was quite a bit of wax remaining on the car following the Dawn wash.

At that point in time I simply reached for the next tool. I threw some citrus-based P21S Total Auto wash in a bucket and misted a bit on the car. When it was all done, it was my perception that 95% of the wax was gone and I was ready to get started!

:xyxthumbs
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    ditto... i tried to remove a 2 day fresh #26 layer (1 coat only) with dishwashing soap (equivalent to dawn) and it only took out so much... yes it does REDUCE wax quantity more significantly than car wash shampoos but not enough to totally strip wax... my 1:64 mixture of APC+ in a spray bottle totally stripped the wax in comparison...

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an observation... I noticed someone said that Dawn was acidic? Aren`t all soaps (not all cleaners) `base`? I mean that`s what gives it that slippery feeling...

Just thinking it might not be as harsh as we think or not harsh in the way we think...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by slimborama

Just an observation... I noticed someone said that Dawn was acidic? Aren`t all soaps (not all cleaners) `base`? I mean that`s what gives it that slippery feeling...

Just thinking it might not be as harsh as we think or not harsh in the way we think...
    No, Dawn is alkaline, not acidic (as are all of the dishwashing soaps that I`m aware of).

Tort

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that DAWN is not a car care product, but one that is designed to cut grease and oils. It has found its way into the detailing regimen because cutting carnauba wax or other waxes is essentially like cutting grease. It will completely remove the oils and silicones (grease), but may have a harder time with a heavy or medium coat of carnauba wax. With a heavy concentration or multiple washes the DAWN will usually cut the carnauba down too. But, a quick application of a paint cleaner or swirl remover will remove everything quickly and easily as part of the prep process. Most follow with a DAWN wash to remove the leftover oils in these products that are used for gloss enhancement and fillers. DAWN by itself is not intended to be used as a substitute for a paint cleaner to completely strip the finish. It will clean up residues left by most products though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

No, Dawn is alkaline, not acidic (as are all of the dishwashing soaps that I`m aware of).

Tort

yeah that`s the word I was looking for.. alkaline

been like 10 yrs since I took chem.. jeeze

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Metallic Mike

Keep in mind that DAWN is not a car care product, but one that is designed to cut grease and oils. It has found its way into the detailing regimen because cutting carnauba wax or other waxes is essentially like cutting grease. It will completely remove the oils and silicones (grease), but may have a harder time with a heavy or medium coat of carnauba wax. With a heavy concentration or multiple washes the DAWN will usually cut the carnauba down too. But, a quick application of a paint cleaner or swirl remover will remove everything quickly and easily as part of the prep process. Most follow with a DAWN wash to remove the leftover oils in these products that are used for gloss enhancement and fillers. DAWN by itself is not intended to be used as a substitute for a paint cleaner to completely strip the finish. It will clean up residues left by most products though...

I agree

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by paco

I have done it a couple of times and I`m really starting to doubt it`s effectiveness at removing a nice layer of wax.

Depends on the wax and how much you have on their really. I find it quite comforting knowing that some waxes hold up to dishwashing liquid. I myself like PPCL.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Can washing with Dawn to remove the wax harm the paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s a few good discussion in there about the effects of Dawn.

Ron Ketcham has some pretty detailed information in there as well DetailKing and others.

Generally, it`s accepted that a couple of washes a year doesn`t really harm things.

IMO, a dawn wash isn`t really required. It`s ability to remove wax is minimal and most car wash soaps do a very good job at solublizing the oils etc that are left behind. The only time I would consider a dawn wash, is if you intend on applying Zaino and your prep involved the use of a lot of "oily" products and you worked the products by hand. If you really work the SMR`s with a PC till they are nearly dry, then I may even be inclined to forego the Dawn suggestion.

Paco

Thread Information