Post Thanks / Like
    So, how do I wash the undercarriage of my car. Quebec snow and road salt are a hazard of winter. I will be getting the car rust proofed, but washing the undercarriage is supposed to be important if you have to park in a heated garage (chemical reactions speed up with heat - corrosion is quicker). I have no real choice about the heated garage. Since I have a garage space, I don`t have a space with an electrical outlet for the blockheater.

I want to start practising now, so I`m really good at it when winter comes. It`s not mentioned in David`s e-book - I checked.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Try P21S Total Auto Wash or Eimann Fabrik. After that, I would wash in the normal way but may use a hose or pressure washer just to quicly clean the underside.

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    I put an old washmit specificly for undercarriage washing on the end of an old broom handle, then dip it in the soap and start scrubbing.

Best way I have come across doing it short of jacking up the car to give it a washing.
    Nothing is quite as fine, as a nice car with a good shine!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can reach some of it at the spray-wand washes, but unless you are willing to lay on the floor to do it, you can`t do a real good job. (I had a friend that used to do that for his Buick GN)

I made a sprayer from plastic pipe to reach about 4` under the car, but when it`s too cold to wash, it`s usually too cold to spray.

I have become reconciled to going to a touchless drive-thru that does the underbody wash. I just hope they will do less damage than the salt. My Astro van was 14 years old, 165,000 miles and hadn`t rusted though yet when I sold it last fall.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW

You can reach some of it at the spray-wand washes, but unless you are willing to lay on the floor to do it, you can`t do a real good job. (I had a friend that used to do that for his Buick GN)

I made a sprayer from plastic pipe to reach about 4` under the car, but when it`s too cold to wash, it`s usually too cold to spray.

Now there`s a thought. I can buy one of those spray wands. Actually I have a friend I could probably borrow one from. Her house doesn`t have a garage, so she won`t be washing the car herself in winter. I haven`t seen any of the spray-wand places here in Quebec. BTW, I`ll be doing this in the same heated garage as where I park the car.

I have become reconciled to going to a touchless drive-thru that does the underbody wash. I just hope they will do less damage than the salt. My Astro van was 14 years old, 165,000 miles and hadn`t rusted though yet when I sold it last fall.

Charles

Someone did a survey of taxi drivers in Montreal. A lot of them go to places that recycle the water, but they go every day. Washing the car every day seems to do more good against rust than worrying about whether or not the water is recycled. :nixweiss
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Recycled winter water will be a strong caustic solution as the water will be very concentrated with salt, oils etc. In my opinion, that would be worse then driving around all winter (which as of late hasn`t been all that bad) with a dirty underbody.

Montreal, there was one in the west Island, I just can`t seem to remember where. But you right, they are hard to come by.

Oil Guard the vehicle is a good measure.

When it rains - rather than avoiding the puddles go baha`ing and go through them to help at least wash some of the sludge.

I`ve found that there isn`t really all that much you can do until it warms up. I usually just accept as part of being in a winter climate.

If you do spray wand and it`s cold out. Make sure to let the car warm up and dethaw as some freezing will be sure to occur underthere - granted we should be letting the car warm up anyway :-)

One thing thou, by power washing - make sure you don`t wash the oil guarding away!

Paco

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, what is "Oil Guard"?

Charles

Thread Information