TheOzzfather
    Well I am in Minnesota and in less than 120 days snow will be flying and the daily mental anquish and nightmares about keeping my car clean are fastly approaching. What do you folks in cold weather sates do when it is not possible to do your own care detailing because of the weather. Do you go to places like the quarter car wash or do you take them to car washes? Any advice will be helpful in keeping my baby clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in Quebec and I`ve been wondering the same sorts of things. I can wash my car in the underground garage of my condo association. I was wondering if a "touchless" car wash would be a good idea?

I`ll definitely be using a polymer protectant for at least the winter months. Around here we have to be ready for winter in October.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 03MaximaSE_TE

Do you go to places like the quarter car wash or do you take them to car washes?
    Unforunately, I don`t know of any way to avoid the commercial car washes when the weather is bad. Definitely use only brushless type of facilities and try to find one that has fresh water rinse rather than the recycled and filtered water used for the wash cycle by most. I have been told that the "spot free" rinse is always fresh water so I use it quite a lot at the end of the wash cycle. When I do have to use a drive-thru, (touchless), I select the wash that sprays the underbody and the one that does NOT apply any of their so called wax products.

Best advice, strap snow shovel on hood of car, head south. When someone asks, "what is that thing for?", you are far enough. Stay!

Charles:p

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the coin wash,soak the car without pressing the trigger then wash/rinse it off with pressure but not closer then 3 feet or so from the nozzle to the panel.
    2001 Tornado Red Jetta Wolfsburg

Post Thanks / Like
    1. In November, put on at least 6 layers of a sealant (Zaino) on. 2. Then monthly toppers of S100.

3. Weekly visits to the wand wash stations and use a carnuba based Quick detailer (probably EF Clear Pearl).

4. When an unseasonable warm day comes around, another layer couple of layers of Zaino will go on.

5. In November, for the wheels, 3 coats of Zaino and topper with Rain X wheel protectant.

6. Tires - not going to worry about them much. A simple clean will be all.

7. Interior - Be careful with the floor mats! As the winter rubber versions can trap dirt and water underneath them. Make sure to vacuum very regularly the front and rear carpets! Salt/Sand is a pain the butt to deal with. I`ll probably do it weekly.

8. Oil - If possible, switch to Synthetic (irregardless of winter).

Careful with the snow brush (wrap it with a sock etc) to minimize scratching.

Taxlady, you`re lucky to have the indoor car wash station. My former apartments in Montreal had one as well (Rockhill apartments at CoteDesNeighes and Queen Mary). That was one of the reason`s I took the place!

That`s about it for me...

Paco

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW

Best advice, strap snow shovel on hood of car, head south. When someone asks, "what is that thing for?", you are far enough. Stay!

Charles:p

LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info Paco. I like your suggestions about rubber mats, etc.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Good suggestions folks!:up

I also apply a couple of thick coats of wax, and a FULL detail to everything in/on my car... rubber, plastics, tires, etc.

And when the snow falls I take it to the spraybooth type places most of the time, and occassionally the touchless carwash.

I only use synthetic oil, so no problem with cold sarts there.

Speaking of cold starts, I also:

1. Swap on Hakkepallita snow tires and RIMS.

2. Put on a fresh set of wiper blades... gonna go winter blades this time.

3. Already have both OVERSIZED oil heater, and battery heater.

4. Update my safety kit... charged flashlight batteries, blanket, water, etc.

Dunno what else. I wish the Autopian Guide came in Mac format, then I could purchase that... it has some info in there.

Thread Information