Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My black and tan 96 MX5 got resprayed about a month ago, and is almost cured. I was told to wait 6 weeks before so much as looking at the car.. I must admit I did wash it once, and left a few teeny tiny swirl marks.. i learned my lesson real quick..

Anyway, the paint is now ready, so what do I do? Any suggestions on what to do to a virgin paint job? What would you do to your new car to ensure that it stays looking its best for as long as possible?

from what I have read, Klasse AIO followed by a number of Zaino products seems to be the most popular route. Correct? Anything specific to new cars? What about applications? Should I stay away from Machines?

the car is daily driven, hard. It sleeps outside, and is a weekend autoxer. But at the same time, it is clean as anything and looks sooo classy.

Thanks! :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s really hard to recommend a carnauba wax for a car that sleeps outside, so stick with the synthetics.I would go with Klasse AIO + SG, then top with carnauba wax if you feel like it. Otherwise, I would use Zaino from start to finish. AIO is not needed for this route.

Please be careful with your new paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    IHG and S100 then just before winter Klasse AIO then SG.

Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    I know about the Klasse, and have already ordered both the AIO and SG.. What exactly is the IHG?? I do know a lot of products, but you guys use acronyms more than microsoft, and it`s confusing as he77....

thanks again guys, keep the advice coming!!

I also have a bit of orange peel in the paint.. I was reading up about it, and saw a few things, but if anyone has any recommendations about how to clean it up while not damaging the new paint, id appreciate it!!

Jared

Post Thanks / Like
    IHG: Imperial Hand Glaze by 3M. S100 paste wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nooooooo wax of any kind guys! 3 month minimum.

You can use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze for the first 3 months.

Only after the 3 months curing time, can you then apply wax.

Orange peel is a fact of life for some of us. My car came from the factory with orange peel. Just leave it... or tell the people who painted your car you don`t like it. They might end up compounding it out a little bit. Or they might not want to do anything because it`s the paint itself and not the clearcoat that has the orange peel. Also, this is something you might want to leave to the professionals, as it is very time consuming, and can get very complicated.

Cheers!

Colin

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    No wax? glad someone told me that before it was too late!!

Any opinions on this?

Master, what about products like Klasse AIO and such?

Post Thanks / Like
    bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Up here in NH we tend to have pretty harsh winters so I am going to stick with my Zaino with S100 topper routine...

Post Thanks / Like
    You don`t want to seal your car`s new paint with wax because it has to release gas to fully cure. This term is called Off-Gasing. And if it doesn`t breathe (off-gassing) it could damage the paint.

This is what I was told by a few people both in the detail/autoshop business as well as people who make wax.

I`m the better-safe-than-sorry kind of person myself, and I would rather play it safe than have to go through the whole process of painting again, wouldn`t you? I had my entire driver`s side door repainted recently and I washed it too early {about week} and it left very fine swirlies... sheesh!

So, for about the past 2 and a half months now I`ve only put 3M IHG on it from time to time, but that`s it.

I can wait another 2 or 3 weeks really!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MAC[H]Z

Up here in NH we tend to have pretty harsh winters so I am going to stick with my Zaino with S100 topper routine...

What do you man u top S100? Is S100 a carnuba? Also, does anyone know if Z5 is needed with Z2? Would it be a wise choice?
    1996 Ford Mustang Cobra

-lots of mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I read in your post they said wait 6 weeks. Call your painter back and ask to be sure. BTW IHG is only oil and fillers. IHG was designed for new paint but it does not offer any paint protection. Ask your painter how long before you can put some protection over the IHG/Glaze and what he would use. It would be interesting to know.

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Great answer! Thats exactly waht I wanted to hear!!

I will see the painter this weekend, as the shop is near my parents house, and nowhere near where I live, and I`ll see if I can get some answers out of him.

I know what you mean about the light scratches, I have some of my own....

Pain in the A$$, isn`t it....

Where can I get this stuff? Would a pep boys have it, or anywhere local? I`d like to do it this weekend if possible, and of course with it being friday and all...

I plan on doing it by hand with cotton applicators, and buffing with cotton towels, any objections? what should I be using??

Oh yeah, how often should I apply it? everything i`ve read says to do it pretty often, just wondering what you guys have found in your experience...

I`ll have pics monday!!

thanks again, this place is a great resource!

Jared

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my IHG at Pep Boys. For an applicator I use a foam applicator that I bought from Auto Zone. I believe it is made by viking. This applicator is larger than the small yellow pads and is made to conform to your hand. You will need mf towels to buff. Using IHG is not as easy as some waxes. Put a small amount on your applicator and work the product in, there is no waiting to haze just buff off immediatily. Besure to use the back and forth method as the wind flows over your car and not circular motion. The reason for this is to avoid swirls. If you use too much product it is harder to buff off. Do one panel at a time then buff.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Jared,

What part of Philadelphia are you from????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information