Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I had read on various posts that Lexol Vinylex is good for cleaning the black trim on my BMW sedan and also for the tires. So last time I washed, I put some on. I sprayed the vinylex on the towel and put it on the trim, then wiped of the excess. It was probably about 24hrs later when it rained (of course the car was outside) and I noticed that the trim started looking all runny like the Lexol was coming off. What happened??? Did I do something wrong? Worse yet - the dirtiness and left over wax that I was trying to remove/cover was still there....... What to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, (this is nick right?)

I`ve been using both vinylex and back to black on my exterior trim and never had a problem with it. My guess is it rained way too soon and the stuff hadn`t fully dried yet.

As for removing wax, a soft toothbrush and some good car wash soap works well. Also, I`ve heard peanut oil works on removing the wax from plastic trim (not sure thought).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Alan_525i

hmmm, (this is nick right?)

I`ve been using both vinylex and back to black on my exterior trim and never had a problem with it. My guess is it rained way too soon and the stuff hadn`t fully dried yet.

As for removing wax, a soft toothbrush and some good car wash soap works well. Also, I`ve heard peanut oil works on removing the wax from plastic trim (not sure thought).

yup, I`m everywhere

Are you using the vinylex to clean and then the back to black on top? Or just the vinylex?

Post Thanks / Like
    most of my black trim was replaced less than a year ago so I have kept it pretty clean just by washing it. Vinylex doesnt really deep clean the plastic. Its more of a surface (residues, films, finger grease etc) cleaner I think. Back to black restores a deep black, slightly glossy finish. I`ve even used vinylex on my tires and it didnt run after driving in the rain. But to answer your question, I don`t use V to clean. Just wash it durning the carwash and then back to black every few weeks or more to keep them looking good. Note: Do not use B2B on the B pillar plastic. It streaks. I mainly use V on the interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, if your trim is really bad, a few places sell kits with a stripper/cleaner and a rejuvinator. If its that bad, you may want to try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Alan_525i is probably right about it getting wet too soon. I just started using Back to Black and it didn`t run or streak in the rain for me. I really like that it isn`t just for black trim. It did a really nice job on my faded grey trim (exterior).
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

--Mark Twain

Thread Information