Post Thanks / Like
    or can you suggest something different? MY car doesn`t have lots of swirls just a few here and there, otherwise the finish is A1. Just curious if it is a gentle chem cleaner or if it`s abrasive. I plan to use my PC to apply.

I am a Souveran user looking to try something else.

Thanks,

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    That isn`t really what its intended to do. If you have swirls and you plan on using a PC to get them out then I suggest you look at something more aggressive that is designed to remove swirls. Meguiar`s #9 comes to mind. Or SMR or Perfect It II something. It depends on the severity of the swirls. Do some searches on `SWIRLS` and see what comes up. Your situation may be described in here already. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes sense. I did a search and found lots of info. I am thinking everyone gets great results with 3M SMR. I`d imagine the one for dark colored cars would be a bit milder and then follow up with imperial hand glaze and lastly the Platinum. That should effectively give me a mirror like finish. Agree?

If i had to speculate I have a very small amount of swirls but I am thinking of using the SMR very lightly just to get at some of the light swirls that are present then the imperial can fill the rest.

Joe

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CRUZMISL

then follow up with imperial hand glaze and lastly the Platinum. That should effectively give me a mirror like finish. Agree?

Joe
    The Platinum probably won`t bond well to IHG. You might want to check with the guys at Four Star to be sure. I don`t think any Polymer is going to bond well to IHG.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never used Platinum, but if you already have the cleaner, couldn`t you just try it and see if it helps with your swirls? You said they were real minor. I`ve found cleaners like Medallion Paint Cleaner work on my minor swirls without having to use #9 or other SMRs.

If you used IHG would you then use the cleaner? The Platinum site suggests that the cleaner is a good step before the protectant to help the protectant bond (sounds sort of like the Zaino pre-cleaner or AIO). I imagine the cleaner would just remove the IHG, so that seems like a waste of time. And ditto to CharlesW`s comments about the protectant over IHG.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried the BF paint cleanser which is a very similar product to Platinum`s cleaner. I would say that it`s a very mild cleaner...slightly milder than PPCL.

Just out of curiousity, why do you wish to try something other than Souveran? I plan to try Platinum soon, but only as a base for carnauba.

Also, on a side note, people here seem to emphasize how glazes like IHG and #7 fill in light swirls, but I haven`t found that to be the case at all. They do a terrific job in the shine department and leave a nice substrate for your final wax, but they didn`t do much for me with swirls (we`re talking very light swirls too).

I`m with brdman.... use something stronger for swirls....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intermezzo

Also, on a side note, people here seem to emphasize how glazes like IHG and #7 fill in light swirls, but I haven`t found that to be the case at all. They do a terrific job in the shine department and leave a nice substrate for your final wax, but they didn`t do much for me with swirls (we`re talking very light swirls too).

I guess I`m one of the few who likes #7 as a base for carnauba. Yes, it does help fill swirls and light marring. I don`t really know how many swirls I really have because of it...stripping it all soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it as a base for carnauba too. That`s all I`ve been doing for the past several months... glaze + carnauba. I`m just more in love with what it does for my car`s shine as opposed to its swirl-filling properties. After applying a coat of Meguiar`s Hand Polish or #7 or IHG (I have all three), I notice a significant difference in the depth and wetness in shine on my wife`s black bimmer, but most of the light swirls are still there.

OR...maybe I have more covered-up swirls than I think. Perhaps an experiment (IPA on a section of the hood) this weekend is in order.

Post Thanks / Like
    One reason we clay is to avoid polishing over latent contaminants on the surface and by claying first it helps you to see your results.

After claying you will be able to tell how aggressive you need to be to remove the swirls. Meguiars #9 verison 2 is very user friendly( you may decide to use two application of #9 rather than a more aggressive polish). Next would be 3m SMR then FI II or DACP.

It is less risky to start with the least abrasive and work your way up. By starting this way you are able to learn more about the products and what they can do. With the PC polishing is easy and fun. Keep it fun and you will love the results.

BTW: A magnifying glass 30x power can help ascertain the condition of the paint

Thread Information