Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I ended up trying out some Platinum Paint Protection yesterday. (thanks again AmsoilAD - nice doin` business with ya!)

I had a bad case of the "No Autopia Blues", and after four and a half months of making sales calls into fractory sites, my Meguiar`s No.20 Polymer Sealant was starting to give up the ghost, and wasn`t beeding in a few spots (nice excuse to start detailing again:p). I decided to try out the Platinum on my car, figuring that the medium-dark green metallic would be better with anything new than on my wife`s silver Escape.

1996 Taurus LX Would you believe it has almost 90,000 miles on it? Any comments?

From the posts today, it looks like I`m not the only one detailing like crazy instead of being on the Autopia Forums yesterday!!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, great detail, great looking car!
    Get out and Detail your car TODAY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by caddyman

WOW, great detail, great looking car!

Thanks!! It`s a blast working on this car. It may be just another sales reps car, but the curves in the body on the sides make for an interesting challenge, even with my Porter Cable.

I`m really impressed with the shine of the Platinum, and that was just one coat. If I get the opportunity this week, I want to apply at least one more layer. If the durability approaches that of the Meguiars No. 20, my days as a Meguiars only user may be numbered.

After this, Zaino next (especially if I get rid of the Taurus and get a new ride later this year and I run out of everythig else I ahve<grin>).

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering how hard it would be to take a PC to the curves of the cars.

I own an Olds Aurora with similar curves to the Taurus. Was it that big of a challenge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurorav8

I was wondering how hard it would be to take a PC to the curves of the cars.

I own an Olds Aurora with similar curves to the Taurus. Was it that big of a challenge?

No, but you keep moving in and out with the curves and sort of let the PC float on the paint. It`s definately different from my wife`s Escape, or my parent Crown Vic.

Actually, it`s sort of fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! I have the EXACT SAME model year with the EXACT SAME color with the EXACT SAME wheels. I have 121,500 miles on mine. I need to know your steps Len!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GreenThumb

WOW! I have the EXACT SAME model year with the EXACT SAME color with the EXACT SAME wheels. I have 121,500 miles on mine. I need to know your steps Len!

What steps ya want to know? Be more than happy to let you know!!

Post Thanks / Like
    All of `em! I want my car to be indistinguishable from yours!

BTW do you also have the green interior? I think its kinda unusual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GreenThumb

All of `em! I want my car to be indistinguishable from yours!

BTW do you also have the green interior? I think its kinda unusual.

Ok, first I do have the green interior. Bad choice. Chould have bought the tan interior - makes getting new floor mats a pain with the green interior.

Second of all, normally I`ll wash it once with Dawn to strip off any old wax. The wheels I use a couple of different wheels cleaners and a wheel brush to clean them, and the tires I scrub with a tire brush, both first before the Dawn wash.

Then, using my Porter Cable, I go over all of the paint with Meguiar`s No. 9 Swirl Remover 2.0 and either a white pad from Classic Motoring Accessories or a yellow Softbuff Foam Polishing Pads from Meguiar`s. You have to do one panel at a time, and buff off the excess. I made the mistake one time of doing the whole car, adn it was a P.I.T.A. to buff off the No. 9 from the whole car.

After that, I usually use Meguiar`s No. 20 Polymer Sealant but this time I used Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection just to try it out. I used a Meguiar`s finishing (tan colored) pad (link above works for that).

I buffed it off with some microfiber cloths, and then polished the wheels with some No. 20 and some microfiber towels. I used the Meguiar`s Endurance medium gloss tire protectant on the glass, and Meguiar`s Gold Class Trim Detailer on all the black plastic and rubber trim. I`ve been washing the car with Meguiar`s Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo, because I got a real good deal on a gallon of it at Target.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m impressed Len. Very nice, can`t wait to try UPP. :up

Thread Information