Post Thanks / Like
    For a long time, we have been told that poly/cotton blends in terry towels, for instance, is a sure way to scratch your paint, and therefore, the best way to remain scratch free, from a towel perspective is to be using either 100% cotton terry, or Microfiber. I find it somewhat ironic that the microfiber is 100% polyester, but I realize this is NOT the same polyester found in poly/ctn blends.

Scratching comes from rubbing a harder surface against a softer surface...So, the polyester threads used in towel serging, or in combination with cotton fibers in the fabric is harder than the clearcoats layers on our cars? I tried rubbing an 83% cotton/17% polyester towel against a CD, and no scratching resulted...

Do we have proof that poly ctn towels do indeed scratch, or, is it simply conjecture thats been spouted for so long that its become part of the culture? I admit, no poly cotton towels have gotten near my paint surface for years, but Im still not 100% convinced...The fabric sure doesnt Feel harder than my clearcoat! Yet I can well imagine that if I had a ball of poly fibers, not prepped as they are for use in microfiber, they would really do a number on my paint. But when theyre blended with a predominance of cotton to produce the fabric, do they still have a cutting action on the paint? I presume so, but do we KNOW?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s the size of the thread, the thread count per square inch, and the depth of the loop that makes "micro"fiber towels superior to standard towel construction.

It`s the ability of the fabric to absorb that makes it special. It can absorb impact, thereby softening blows and psi, or pressure against the surface that causes scratches. It can absorb moisture making it a good dryer. It can absorb and hold contaminants away from the surface, again, helping to keep debris away from scratching the surface.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad, I wasnt doubting that MF is superior for detailing....Ive proven this to myself many times..

What I was referring to is whether we know for sure that poly cotton blends in traditional towels are more likely to scratch clear coat paint than 100% cotton towels. I did not find this to be the case when twisting the fabrics against a CD.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can verify 100% that those towels you speak of scratch paint. here`s why

i zaino`d and SMR`d mym truck. Not a single swirl. Then I took a terry twoel from wallyworld and started buffing. Every place I buffed ( i used circular motion, which i now know is wrong) there were swirls on the exact same lines as where I had buffed. When i changed to a diff towel they did not appear. Towel #2 was 100% cotton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Samiam, what content was the wallyworld towel which produced your swirls?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by samiam513

I can verify 100% that those towels you speak of scratch paint. here`s why

i zaino`d and SMR`d mym truck. Not a single swirl. Then I took a terry twoel from wallyworld and started buffing. Every place I buffed ( i used circular motion, which i now know is wrong) there were swirls on the exact same lines as where I had buffed. When i changed to a diff towel they did not appear. Towel #2 was 100% cotton.

I`ll assume that you SMR`d then Zaino`d your truck, which I`m certain looked nice, otherwise your sequence makes no sense. Then you performed your "test". Did you ever deterimine if your "test" swirled the Zaino (ie, wax layer) or if it swirled the paint? Verification would have required removing the Zaino completely and observing the paint. Let us know if you did that step. Big difference. How long did the Zaino cure before your "test"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

are you using, i.e. which brand of 100% cotton and which brand of MF towel are you using?

Cannon, Fieldcrest, Royal Velvet, Charisma, Select, Neatitem, JT Intl, Pakshak, Yosteve, WalMart, Kmart, Macy`s, Ames, JC Penney, Target, Filene`s, Nortstrom`s, Kohl`s...???

Please advise...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tested both the cotton/polyester blend of towels from TOL and Cannon on a CD and they both left scratches in a CD.

I`m not sure what you meant twisting the threads on a CD. Get on the CD and buff the CD like you would a car. My microfiber towels I can put as much pressure as I possible can on them and it makes no scratches at all in a CD(Yosteve towels)
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Thread Information