Post Thanks / Like
    I recently applied Klasse AIO and SG to a relative`s car that has been kept in relatively good condition. He had waxed it at least once every half year with NuFinish, Meguiar`s, etc. and it`s been garaged 80% of its life.

The finish looks great, but I noticed that the paint felt rough on the hood, top of car, and trunk when I slid my finger across it.

I thought I`d give clay bars a try, but since neither of us have used clay bars before, I`m a little worried that we might make the finish worse off than it is now.

Would making the paint smooth to the touch significantly enhance the visual appeal of the finish?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is very hard to hurt the finish of a car with a claybar. If you use the lubrication that comes with the bar and do as teh directions say, you will be just fine. Make sure you do not drop it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Claying is about the coolest thing you can imagine. You will not believe how smooth the finish is when you are done. And it will make a significant difference in your finish`s clarity. And even if it didn`t, you`d still love the results! As samiam said, it`s very difficult to hurt you car`s finish with clay. Just use plenty of lube and you`ll be fine.
    2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- Zaino

1999 MB C280 -- 1Z Glanz

Post Thanks / Like
    I think claying is one of the best surface prep steps because it makes the paint so much smoother to the touch. Even if you can`t see the improvement, you`ll appreciate the difference when you`re working on the paint afterwards. Besides, leaving contaminants on the paint and locking them in under sealant/wax probably isn`t such a great idea anyway.

EDIT: LOL, I just re-read everything and realized I started saying the same thing as Dude!! :p

Post Thanks / Like
    You WILL see a difference after claying. If you think about it, the reflectivity of the paint HAS to be affected by all the contamination and little bumps. Once the paint is clean and smooth, the reflectivity and shine will be greatly enhanced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. I just picked up some Clay Magic from Autozone. We`ll give it a try tomorrow.

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    You want to consider a good cleaner, Platinum, Pinnacle , others

these products really help set up Klasse or Platinum, pinnacle or what ever product your using, getting the paint cleaner and you can tell its working by dirt thats on your pad...

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading what carcareonline.com had to say about clay bars has given me the creeps...I hope I`m better than the average first-timer at claying.

Post Thanks / Like
    kreativ,

The ClayMagic (blue) from AutoZone isn`t going to hurt your car unless you drop the clay and pick up dirt and rub it around. Just keep lots of lubricant as you work -- and be sure to be in the shade. Claying is about the easiest thing you can do in detailing and the results are always spectacular! It feels like you have glass on your car when you are finished.

Give it a try!! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    The type that is sold for detailing is very mild. My vehicles are outside and using the clay bar actually preserves the finish since the particles embedded into the paint are removed. Once I started using Clay, swirl marks didn`t appear.

I use machine applied glazes and not claying first scratched the surface.

It will improve clarity of your shine as well as the smoothness. I do mine twice a year.
    The perfect shine is

pure satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Claying, Just make sure that you use Plenty of lube and dont push hard on the clay. I clay almost every car I Zaino and the funush cimes out smother and slicker that you can believe...

Also may do a search for clay and see what you find...
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Thread Information