Post Thanks / Like
    Fella`s,

Metallic Silver. Perfect prep done. Swirls are gone, surface smooth as glass. I want a deep, deep, reflective shine. Like the car is under water. DURABILITY IS NOT AN ISSUE (although, must last one month). What product should I finish with?

Zaino?

Klasse?

Blackfire?

Pinnacle Souv?

I know all of you have your favorites, and I want all opinions. Although, it would be great to hear from people that have tried all/some of the products mentioned above on metallic silver. I have only tried Zaino, and like it. But something is missing? EXTREMELY reflective, does not darken the paint, and the metallic flakes are clearly visable - but has a sterile look to it? Maybe I`m a Carnuba guy, I don`t know.... I have never tried another product on this car, so it is hard to tell. Maybe Silver cannot achieve a deep look? Can it? I`m leaning towards Blackfire, as it offers the benefits of a polymer, but the shine of a carnuba. ALL OPINIONS WELCOME AND APPRECIATED!!!!

Later

Post Thanks / Like
    How about Blackfire and Souveran paste wax as a topper?

I know Jngrbrdman likes that combo....

Viper....ohhhhh....ahhh...one sweet ride.....

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jason.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I read the CMA website and they say Pinnacle Souv. is better suited on dark colored cars. On lighter cars they recommend Pinnacle Paste Glaz. Maybe this would be better on Metallic Silver? I wish someone who has tried all these product would chime in..... I don`t want to spend hundred of dollars on car care products to discover which one is best. I`ve already got a basement full of stuff. Although, I would think CMA would not recommend a lower cost product (Pinnacle Paste Glaz) unless it truly worked better on lighter cars.

Later

Post Thanks / Like
    As you may know all the products on your list will look good, my personal favorite for silver is Zaino. I have used BF on silver with good results, but nothing that blew me away. Before i started using Zaino on silver, a couple coats of Klasse toped off with Pinnacle paste glaze made the paint look deep, wet and reflective.

Have fun.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I had read a while ago:

-Zaino gives reflectivity and a clear, bright gloss.

-Carnauba gives more depth and wetness. Some other sealant systems other than the well known Klasse are like this too and go well with carnaubas, but I`ve done zero reading on polymer systems other than K and Z.

I`m using Klasse now (no topper yet) and after 5 coats I have noticed a tiny bit of darkening, but I have to concentrate to tell (did 1/2 hood).

Someone (apologies to whom I`m paraphrasing) has theorized that this darkening or tinting effect (which you get with carnaubas too) is actually what accounts for the quality known as "depth". This makes perfect sense to me since the darker the paint, the better the reflection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andre.

But with Zaino, do you get the (deep, wet, reflective) look that you did with Klasse toped off with Pinnacle paste glaze. Why do you like Zaino the best? Remember, I am not really concerned with durability. And I know from experience, Zaino is EXTREMELY durable.

I guess my question is: Specifically, why do you prefer Zaino over Klasse topped off with Pinnacle paste glaze or Blackfire on Silver? And what are the strong/weak points of each?

Thanks in advance Andre.

Post Thanks / Like
    Owning a Silver Audi and a silver MBZ, I`ve had a long and storied history with silver. My preference now is to use Zaino, although I`ve not been blown away by it as I initially thought I would (more on that in a new post).

In the end, I`ve seen Klasse and Zaino as very similar on silver cars. Silver is easy to hide swirls in, but hard to shine as nicely as a darker colored car.

Post Thanks / Like
    neoprufrok,

Have you had the opportunity to try Blackfire, or one of the better Carnuba`s????

Thanks in advance....

Post Thanks / Like
    No Zaino did not have the deep wet look of Klasse with a Paste Glaze.

I like Zaino for two main reasons, durability and the clear bright shine. It`s weekness is it`s lack of depth.

Klasse with PPG looks looks very wet and deep, that is it`s strong point. It`s week point, it darkens the color a bit.

Bf with a topper may look good but IMHO If you like the deep wet look, the Klasse Paste Glaze combo is the one.:up
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    Andre,

Do you think the Klasse was darkening the paint, the Pinnacle Paste Glaz, or both? Thanks again.....

P.S. - Thanks for you honest opinions. I don`t like it when some members `preach on the mountain top` about how XYZ is the best in every situation. Doesn`t seem to be a perfect product, yet.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll be "detailing" (to the best of my newbie abilities) my silver metallic this weekend. I`ll start tomorrow and end on Sunday. I`ll be comparing my results to the "Platinum Silver" of the subara wrx sedan by memory. I only saw one pass me by on the highway (beginning of my obsessions with detailing). And those new shiny silver volkswagen Jetta we have here at work. I don`t have a digicam so my results might not be helpful. I`ll be using Paste Glaz over Klasse 2 AIO and 3 SG. DRop me a PM if you think it`ll be of some help. However, I won`t be able to post my "descriptive results" til sunday and my comparitive results till monday evening.

hey man, do you race your viper?
    Nnnooo. I can`t kick that high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Focusrun,

Let me know how that turns out. Very interested...

"Do I race my Viper?" - Well, not really. Here`s the problem. The Viper is a very expensive car, and I can not afford a track accident that my insurance will not cover. Unlike most Viper owners, I am far from rich. I saved nearly 10 years for this car (my other car is a 1989 Buick Park Avenue with 110K miles). The clamshell hood on the Viper is $12,000+ to replace, if damaged. Crazy expensive parts.... Although, I have raced other owner`s Vipers at the track (Driver/passenger) (Mid-Ohio and Pocono Raceway). The Viper is an incredible Road Course car. At Viper events, we sometimes invite Porsches/Ferrari`s/Corvettes and usually beat them fairly easily. The closest competitor is always the Corvette Z06. That is a GREAT track car. It beats up on the Ferrari`s (355/360`s) and Porsche 911 Turbo`s regularly. Now keep in mind, no F40/F50 or Porsche Turbo GT2 was ever at these events, so I do not know how they would do. At $200,000 - $500,000, they are only reality for a very select few. Kind`a cool that the 2 best production track cars under $150,000 are both American. Take it easy, and let me know how the WRX turns out.

Thread Information