Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used claybars before, but never were they mine.

My question is what is the difference between different companies claybars?

Mothers, Turtle Wax, Meguiars, Eagle One, Zaino, Zymol and just about everyone and their uncle makes a claybars. What the hell is up with that? I am not looking to spend a lot of money, and I just want to know what works, what works well, and what is worth its weight in gold.

Thats all I ask, thanks for any help you may have, and personal experience is a plus.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the mothers and eagle one. The eagle one streaked like heck on my paint. When I tried to go over the streaks again with the clay bar it didn`t pick them up but instead spread them around.

I like the mothers clay bar. If it streaks, then going back over the streak with a claybar will remove it.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have experience with two - mother`s and clay magic. i love the mother`s. i will never buy clay magic again. before i could finish one car, the bar was falling apart and it was just a nasty situation. i heard the suggestion to let it dry out - this didn`t work. i`m sure some have had success with it, but i know of several that have had this same problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stanger99

i have experience with two - mother`s and clay magic. i love the mother`s. i will never buy clay magic again. before i could finish one car, the bar was falling apart and it was just a nasty situation. i heard the suggestion to let it dry out - this didn`t work. i`m sure some have had success with it, but i know of several that have had this same problem.

Wow out of all the bars I`ve ever used I`ve never had this issue. I also suggest cutting the full bar into 5-6 smaller sections. I store the cut pieces in zip lock bags with a squirt of Megiuar`s Final Inspection for lube. Perhaps you bought a bad bar.

Clay Magic should blow Mother`s out of the water. No streaking, no breaking, just nice smooth pull on the surface.

Where did you get your bar that was so bad? I would suggest asking for another bar and trying it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first try was Mcguires and it was awful, gummed up and stained my paint.

I gave Mothers a try and loved it, easy to use and really did a good job.

Bob

Stockton Ca

Post Thanks / Like
    DK Mobile,

i picked it up at autozone. i guess it might be worth another shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Mothers is an excellent clay bar. Doesn`t streak and literally makes the paint feel like it came off the showroom floor regardless of how old it is and how much its been neglected!

I just discovered the claybar about a year ago. Why didn`t I know about it sooner. lol. I guess we all learn something new everyday...

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiars, Mothers, and Erazer.

I found them all to be good.

Any clay is gummy and sticks to the paint if you don`t use enough lubricant. It becomes easier to use with experience. Faster too.

I haven`t found much streaking with Meguiars, just catch any drips with a towel and they go away. Mothers did some streaking, but for me a quick wipe of the clay bar took care of it.

Nothing improves clarity like a clay bar.
    The perfect shine is

pure satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stanger99

DK Mobile,

i picked it up at autozone. i guess it might be worth another shot.

Well believe me, having a bad experiance with a product can make even me look the other way and not try again. However I just can`t think of any other thing besides maybe getting a old bar. I use this stuff on 125K cars all the time and it has to be 100% each and every time.

Mothers is a good retail alternative and if it works then go with what`s best for you...

Post Thanks / Like
    From CarCareOnline.com:

Literally a plasticene/abrasive mixture used to smooth new paint and remove over spray. This type of product must be used with lots of lubricant. The technique of using a clay is a learned skill. Use too little lubricant, or get contaminants in the clay, and you have moved into scratch city. This is one product that is the fast lane to trouble if not used with extreme care. I do not recommend this product as a general paint cleaner. You literally grind off a layer of paint. Should be used as was intended, to remove paint over spray.

Does this still apply, or have clay bars changed in some way? It seems people here even clay new cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have much experience with clay bars - the only one I have used is the Erazer. I have clayed two cars with it so far - one was two years old and washed often and the other was 6 years old and rarely washed. It was VERY easy both times. No streaking and a very simple process. I was really surprised at how little work it was. Just use plenty of lubricant and enjoy the results.

The Erazer is one of the poly clays and for $20 I got 2 2oz bars (each bar supposedly will do 5 cars with average contamination) and 16 oz. of lubricant. I really can`t imagine anything else working much easier than this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for Mother`s. Mother`s comes with a QD and I like the QD better than the shampoo method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rightlane

I vote for Mother`s. Mother`s comes with a QD and I like the QD better than the shampoo method.
    One thing I`ve found with the included Mother`s Showtime Quick Detailer is that it`s very very slick and for some bizzare reason lasted several days parked outside in the sun . There was no wax or anything else protecting the paint underneath either. Once I washed it most of the slickness was gone but it was definitely still there for a long time. I was quite surprised and plan on getting more for my wax topper later on. Besides, cinnamon smells nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Been using Mothers CA GCB and Auto Magic for about two months now without any problem,...... infact I stored them together in the same baggie and so now its Green! I use it almost everytime I wash the truck, (its outside under a tree most of the time and the tree pollen is sticky.)

I have the clay in one hand and a good soapy sponge in the other. Doesn`t really take much longer to wash the truck. Wash the clay off and rinse with water, stretch and fold, and back in the baggie!

Crumbling clay sounds like it was dried out or a bad batch.

:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe if you use Mother`s clay then you do not have to do a second wash if followed by AIO. I have and the AIO sealed for many months. Mother`s clay and AIO work very well together. If you decide to not use AIO then you might want to consider a second washing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information