Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone heard of leather seats that are coated with some sort of clear vinyl? I`ve been told that the leather seats in my new SVT has some kind of vinyl coating. The seats are leather, but they do sort of feel like vinyl a little bit. The reason I`m asking is because I need to know how and what products to use to clean them and what products to preserve them. The panels that are directly under you and against your back are perferated with little holes. What do I use on them and what kinds of problems are these perferations going to cause?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, most modern leather is coated. Try doing a search, there have been a number of threads on this issue.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never heard of vinyl covering real leather ... I know that most leather seats are just dyed on the outside as opposed to vat-dyed. They can easily be touched up or re-dyed once they get worn or if the finish begins to crack. I just had the tan seats in my 95 Carrera 4 redyed and they look brand new again.

For an interesting site on leather care, check out http://www.colorplus.com ... they make a good softener and preservative, and the Porsche concours guys swear by the dye they make, which is created and matched to your sample can be brushed on with a soft cloth or sprayed on with an airbrush. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. There`s an excellent PDF file on their site which goes into detail about leather, how it`s dyed and how it can be preserved and restored.

As far as the perforations, all Porsches have perforated inserts; don`t worry about them, you can apply the preservative of your choice right over the holes.

Vic

95 C4

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Showroom, I should have searched first. Without a doughbt I have coated leather. Now I know what to do and what to do it with. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, like showroomL said there is a such thing as coated leather. It is often refered to as "clearcoated leather" but it is also called "top coated leather"

I`m not sure what the SVT seats are made out of. What kind of SVT do you have? Cobra, L, Focus?
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2000 SVT Contour Intel486, it is Toreador Red Metallic. I bought it brand new in Feb. of 2001. I got a real good deal on it! It`s a fun car to drive! My wife drives it mainly, she has some health problems and the 4 doors and the seating help her out alot. She is also a gearhead so she really loves the car.

Thread Information