Ok this is a stupid question but is there a real need for dash protectants?? I do see a need for leather protectants but not dashboards. I havent seen a cracked dashboard on a single 90s model vehicle in my life. I hate the sheen of dash protectants, I simply wipe mine with a damp MF then a dry MF, works great. Maybe if you keep your car for 10 years plus there is a need but I dont see a reason to waste money on 303(which is costly) to protect something that doesnt really need protection..

Post Thanks / Like
    I see a need for dash protectants. My example would be my parent`s 91 corolla. Sunlight has taken its toll on the interior plastics.

I personally use Lexol Vinylex. I don`t like the matte look yet don`t like the AA high gloss, the medium sheen of Vinylex suits my tastes.

There was an absolute head turning difference between a untreated and a treated surface when I did the inside of the corolla. It went from a chaulky grey to a deep dark rich grey. It restored the factory like look with a little bit of sheen added.

The Vinylex also has cleaners in it that helped get rid of the year of accumulated grim. The terry cloth turned light grey removing the dirt and such.

So a once a year (twice for smokers) wash with dawn or diluted multi-purpose cleaner followed by a protectant every 2-3 months = much better than nothing at all.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    The sun is a brutal beast.

I saw more than a few faded and cracked dashes on `90`s cars at the Carlisle Ford Nationals a few weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cracking dashes were a big problem in the 70s and 80s, for both domestic and impoted cars. Car makers have improved the durability of interior plastics considerably in the last 10-15 years. While they`re are cars that may not have as advanced materials I think most cars are OK without any protectants.

It all depends on your long term view of the car. If you plan to keep it 10 years then protectants are a good thing, if only for preventive maintenance. But if you lease or trade every few years, why waste the money?

Looks are one thing. I`m speaking from a durability perspective.

Originally posted by bretfraz

Cracking dashes were a big problem in the 70s and 80s, for both domestic and impoted cars. Car makers have improved the durability of interior plastics considerably in the last 10-15 years. While they`re are cars that may not have as advanced materials I think most cars are OK without any protectants.

It all depends on your long term view of the car. If you plan to keep it 10 years then protectants are a good thing, if only for preventive maintenance. But if you lease or trade every few years, why waste the money?

Looks are one thing. I`m speaking from a durability perspective.

that is exactly my take on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I, personally, think they are very necessary for a daily driver that you intend to keep for a while, i.e. my 10 y.o Camaro. I never have used dash protectants for their shine qualities, but rather their protective qualities like UV, fading, and cracking protection. I guess to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak, my dash has always had a UV protectant on it since Day 1, and there`s not one crack or faded spot to be found. I think that would be much different if I had never used anything.....or something for shine and not protection..... UV and heat is a BIG killer on exterior and interior peices, so any car needs all the protection it can get, especially if exposed on a daily basis!

:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody know if window tinting will help block the nasty stuff? I`ve seen too many old cars with faded out rear head rests because of it, and I don`t want my car to end up like this.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Window tinting will help out quite a bit, but a lot of UV rays are still attacking the plastics, and vinyl. Depending on how dark you went with the windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Three words:

303 Aerospace Protectant

Simply THE best in any non-metal protectant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not get a custom dash mat? I looked at them for F-150s and they are about $50. That is a one time purchase and it`ll protect your dash from UV. Then you can get all you windows tinted and that`ll protect the rest of your car You`ll need the dash mat though since you don`t wanna tint your windshield.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AlBoston

I hate the sheen of dash protectants... I dont see a reason to waste money on 303(which is costly) to protect something that doesnt really need protection..

If you don`t like sheen and don`t want to spend money for 303, I strongly reccomend Black Magic Semi-Gloss dash protectant. At under $3 a bottle, it has less sheen than 303 but still offers UV protectors and limited dust attraction. By the way you are talking, it`s exactly what you would want to use, just to be on the safe side for your car.
    -Chuckmotor

Thread Information