Post Thanks / Like
    Is the California Wiper Blade meant to be pulled across a surface or is it supposed to be used like a snow blade (sort of pushed ahead at a 30 degree angle to the surface)?

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be best to pull it across, giving you the most control. The CWB must be used extremely carefully, so you don`t want it folding over itself which is possible if you use it like a snow blade.

Make sure to wipe the blade between every swipe too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JustinTRW

Make sure to wipe the blade between every swipe too.

I`ve never done that... I`d be more worried about a piece of lint from the towel getting stuck on the blade then any dirt that was in the water I just swiped off. I was almost certain that the waterblade couldn`t scratch before I came to this site because the car is clean by the time I use it... and the water stays infront of the blade and never gets under it in order to scratch the paint. I may just start using the microfiber towels I just bought tho. Rinse the car off with the hose (with nozzle off) and then MF whatever is left. Blotting instead of wiping of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    I only use mine for the windows, but when you wipe the blade, you can either use a MF towel or your fingers. Small dust particles will most likely be suspended in the water, but if a larger piece somehow gets stuck it will scratch.

Also, if you plan to use the CWB, your final rinse of the car must be with a spray. If you decide to do a final rinse with just running water, which causes lots of water to sheet off, you`ll be left with some already dry areas on the paint. You actually want to have water bead on it consistently, because if suddenly you run over a dry spot with the CWB, you are risking quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    hehe I love this place... it`s fun searching thru old threads. I think I might throw my CWB away and just start using a leaf blower. Seems like a lot of people here do and I really don`t care if the neighbors think I`m nuts

I want to try to get some kind of portable garage/carport/canopy anyway so if I can find one with sides they`ll hear all kinds of noises but they wouldn`t have a clue what was going on inside

Post Thanks / Like
    The best way to use a CWB is for wiping down the shower stall.

Post Thanks / Like
    My CWB instructions shows me how to use it.... They show it being pulled over the surface like a traditional squeegee, not a snow blade to push it. :nixweiss

I run my fingers along the edge and blast it with water every so often to keep it dirt-free, but I think the best thing to do is to just make sure to hose down the car completely before using it. That way you should float off any airborne dirt that may have settled on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also wash mine before I use it to ensure that no dust is on it when I put it on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used mine for the first time the other day, and haven`t since, because I was shocked at the squealing sound it made when you ran it along a panel of the car. It sounded god awful, like it certainly could not be good for the car`s surface. I imagined it would be a little quieter... :nixweiss

Is this normal?

I think I may pick up a small leaf blower, I could give a hoot what my neighbors think of me.... :p

Post Thanks / Like
    The squeaking is perfectly normal... I read several posts about that the other day as I was searching thru the archives. The slower you go the louder it`ll be.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find mine gets quieter if you slow down the sweep. The sqeaking is caused by the blade skipping over the surface. Do it fast enough and it can judder and hop along and leave water behind. It`s hard to avoid the temptation to swipe fast, but I try

Post Thanks / Like
    just my opinion, but I decided to dump my CWB for another way.

After washing, and while car is still wet, I spray the whole car with QD. I then dry the car with 100% cotton bath towels, in 2 passes. After the 2nd pass, I do not see any streak or water marks.

Works for me; hope it works for you.

I love the info on this board!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Chris S

I used mine for the first time the other day, and haven`t since, because I was shocked at the squealing sound it made when you ran it along a panel of the car. It sounded god awful, like it certainly could not be good for the car`s surface. I imagined it would be a little quieter... :nixweiss

Is this normal?

I think I may pick up a small leaf blower, I could give a hoot what my neighbors think of me.... :p

This is a bit tricky to explain, but instead of swiping your car in the exact direction of face of the blade, try swiping it with the blade angled a little. In other words, let one end of the blade slightly lead the other end of the blade...maybe at a 20-30 degree angle. Your blade will still howl, but not as much.

Thread Information