Post Thanks / Like
    When people write "Dawn wash", do they mean it has to be Dawn dishwashing liquid, or could it be the one I already have? If I use the one I already use, how do I know if it got off all the old wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn is preferred. Many other dishwashing liquids contain other things like, aloe and other "frills" in their formulas. This will cause streaking and can leave a fine film on the car. Plus the alki content of Dawn will ensure everything is stripped from the surface.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, “dawn wash†is Dawn dishwashing liquid (blue). You could use other dishwashing liquids however the experience at this forum is to use Dawn. After thoroughly dawning your car water should not bead on the surface. If in doubt dawn your car twice, your old wax should now be completely removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get mine from Sam`s Club -- INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH! (...or just industrial size... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies. :wavey

I guess I`ll break down and buy the Dawn. I just prefer stuff to be biodegradable, like the stuff I use :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought household detergents, including dishwashing detergent and laundry soap, should never be used to wash cars?

Their high pH content-designed to cut grease-will remove your car`s wax coating(which I understand is what we are intending to do), but won`t it also harm the clear-coat finish?

Or will using it only once or twice a year not effect the clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Using dawn once or twice per year should not harm your clear coat finish; remember we are just using it to remove the wax. Use quality car wash cleaners for regular washings.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are worried about the biodegradable part of the dishwashing liquid, you could use something like "Pink Solution". We can get that stuff here, as it is made on the West Coast (Vancouver). I use it on my hands and waxing implements. It is a kelp based natural degreasing cleaner. It cleans my applicators much better than any dishsoap. The only thing is that it smells like kelp. Perfectly harmless. As a matter of fact, you can eat it!!!

But I am not really worried about the small amount of dishsoap I am using, so I just use dish soap. After all, we`re talking about 1 teaspoon once a year or something, so it`s really no big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not really worried about the small amount of Dawn that will get into the eco system. I just don`t like to vote (by $) for the non-biodegradable stuff. Now I`m in a bit of a quandary. The stuff I use is really good at getting rid of kitchen grease, so it might be strong enough. And I doubt that I would mind it smelling of kelp. I don`t use perfumy cleaning and polishing stuff in my home.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always run a test. Put some wax on an applicator and let it dry, and soak it in warm water with your dishsoap and scrub and see if it comes off. I have found the Pink Solution to be only thing which cleans all of the wax off in one go. I can do it with dish soap, but I have to work harder at it.

If you are going to polish the car afterwards, the streaks and whatnot from whichever dishsoap you are going to use wouldn`t matter. It would only matter if you are not going to do any othe paint prep prior to applying a sealant like Z or Klasse SG. Any type of paint cleaner will remove all the streaks anyway.

Thread Information