Post Thanks / Like
    i have a 97` maxima and the rotors are really friggen dirty and rusty, which makes my car look like ****. Also my brakes squeak really bad when i brake and its really friggen annoying! got any suggestions?????????????????????

Post Thanks / Like
    a) Did you check www.maxima.org yet?

b) Do you notice a lot of oxidation on the rotors? For some reason, The stock rotors on Maximas tend to dissipate heat poorly resulting in the oxidation and even warped rotors.

Originally posted by jbling

i have a 97` maxima and the rotors are really friggen dirty and rusty, which makes my car look like ****. Also my brakes squeak really bad when i brake and its really friggen annoying! got any suggestions?????????????????????

Well multiple new threads on the same topic will make people less likely to reply, just a tip for ya, this goes for any board. Well here is what I think you should do. The squeaking is probably caused by glazed pads and rotors or improperly installed shims. Either way, go ahead and replace the pads and rotors correctly installing shims and anti squeal compounds. I recommend painting the hubs of the rotors and the inner ventilated part. This will give them a new appearance all the time, because these parts are unpainted and will rust quickly. Brad B. did this on his audi, so maybe he can chime in here. goodluck!:xyxthumbs

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definately coat an aftermarket rotor, especially in the fins. The breaking surface will last about 1 second, but you don`t have a choice with that area. The other surfaces will be protected depending what you put on it.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks i appricate it
    -JON

97` maxima se

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys know I track my cars and I have paid close attention to brake threads on many boards for over a year now. I can`t think of another subject (except maybe detailing) where there is so much MYTH and contradictory statements.

The following article is, as far as I`m concerned, the definitive authority on brakes. The writer of this article is not affiliated with the stoptech site where it is hosted, and is one of the longest lived, most experienced race team engineer/managers in the world.

The Warped Brake Disc and Other Myths -- Carroll Smith

By the way, brake rotors are made out of cast iron. When you get them wet (such as when you wash your car) they will rust in a very, very short period of time. This is completely normal, and a few brake applications will remove all the rust and polish the rotors again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by carguy

By the way, brake rotors are made out of cast iron. When you get them wet (such as when you wash your car) they will rust in a very, very short period of time. This is completely normal, and a few brake applications will remove all the rust and polish the rotors again.

That`s so true... I used to worry about rusty rotors everytime I finish detailing (washed of course), but when I reach my destination, regardless of how short the drive is, the discs looks shiny again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by AlBoston

Well multiple new threads on the same topic will make people less likely to reply, just a tip for ya, this goes for any board. Well here is what I think you should do. The squeaking is probably caused by glazed pads and rotors or improperly installed shims. Either way, go ahead and replace the pads and rotors correctly installing shims and anti squeal compounds. I recommend painting the hubs of the rotors and the inner ventilated part. This will give them a new appearance all the time, because these parts are unpainted and will rust quickly. Brad B. did this on his audi, so maybe he can chime in here. goodluck!:xyxthumbs

what about the actual part of the brake that holds the pads, can i paint the outside of that, and if i can is there a special type of paint in need for this job besides high temp.? what methods of painting should i do, should i use spray can, or a paint brush, and what will happen if i get any paint of the rotors? sorry bout the duplicate threads guys it wont happen again.
    -JON

97` maxima se

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jbling

what about the actual part of the brake that holds the pads, can i paint the outside of that, and if i can is there a special type of paint in need for this job besides high temp.? what methods of painting should i do, should i use spray can, or a paint brush, and what will happen if i get any paint of the rotors? sorry bout the duplicate threads guys it wont happen again.

They`re called the "calipers". You can paint them but you do need special paint to withstand the high heat they endure. Search the web for brake caliper paint - should be plenty of info.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had success with just using regular Krylon spray paint as caliper paint. I figured if it were to burn up I would just redo it. So far so good. The sell lots of hi-temp spray paint as well. One tip I got was to spray into a tin and then brush the paint on in many layers. It`s a good way to get good film thickness.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Thread Information