Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few tiny little scratches on my trunk lid. It`s a dark metallic green car. I can barely see the scratches, but I can feel them with my fingernail. What do you guys recommend for getting rid of them?

Post Thanks / Like
    but I can feel them with my fingernail

Sorry, if you can feel them with your fingernail then it`s body shop time. The best you can do would be reduce their apperance with abrasive polishes, but you will not be able to remove them.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I would probably try 3M SMR as a starting point if you have or have access to a PC. You can work it by hand with some considerable effort otherwise. If that is unsuccessful you can step up to the slightly more aggressive 3M FI2..... I`ve excellent results over the years with both of these products...

Post Thanks / Like
    SL is right. I just tried this with my trunk. I can barely feel the marks with my fingernail, and I tried Meguiar`s heavy cut cleaner (2 times) and # 9 twice on it. It is less noticeable, but unfortunately still there. I fear that if I work on it anymore, I`ll remove too much of the clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to hide it with IHG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh oh.... I have some scratches that catch my fingernail. I haven`t dealt with them yet. Would putting a line of clear coat over it work (like with a chip)? Or would it just look like a scratch preserved in clear paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would really like to do some colorsanding on that trunk lid of yours! That will take fine scratches out. I`m now a mad man with sandpaper! GIVE ME SOMETHING TO COLORSAND!!! Hmmm my neighbhors car looks like it has some orange peel...
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Intel, that`s my next project. I am going to fill some deep scratches with touch up and colour sand. These are on my door. Would that work on my trunk, as they are only in the clear, and not in the base?

BTW, I saw the thread on coloursanding your truck. Very impressive job, dude!:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    It would work but be very, very careful. The concentration of the UV blockers in the paint film rises to the top .5 mil, remove more than .3 mil and your clear will be toast. In areas of high sun and UV exposure you must be very careful.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, Here what you do. Drive down to New Orleans and park in front of Intel486`s place. Take a taxi to the French Quarter ( I could not spell the other name for it) and enjoy. By the time you return you will have made a new friend.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the warning, SL. I`ll keep that in mind.

Rightlane, I would love to do that, but the cost to drive from the West Coast of Canada to NO would net me a whole paint job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the cost of a paint job compared to making a new friend. Come on you know you want to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, you`re right there. And I do plan to visit New Orleans this year, but by plane!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was afraid I wouldn`t be able to get rid of them. Since I live where rust is a concern, is there anything I can do to make them not get worse? As I said, they don`t show much - certainly not enough to have the trunk repainted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Taxlady

I was afraid I wouldn`t be able to get rid of them. Since I live where rust is a concern, is there anything I can do to make them not get worse? As I said, they don`t show much - certainly not enough to have the trunk repainted.

If they are not down to primer then they won`t rust. Just keep your car waxed and wash it often to keep that road salt off it.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Thread Information