Thread: 74 Firebird

Post Thanks / Like
    Opinions please.My father in law has a red 1974 Firebird.The problem is that it has been sitting outside for the past ten years untouched.He could not even tell me the last time he washed it.Well he has finally put insurance on it and is wanting to fix it up.I offered my services as I thought this would be an awsome experiment to see how much I could improve the dead dull oxidized finish,before he takes it to the paint shop.So I come before you asking your opinions.The strongest thing I have in my arsenal is 3M FI with my DA polisher.I had planned on taking it to the local car wash to use a high pressure hose and washing it with the strongest thing I could find.So what do you all think.Opinions please.Cause this is by far the worst finish I have ever tackled.Thanks JB

Post Thanks / Like
    More than likely, this vehicle is going to have a severe amount of oxidation. You are probably going to have to use a medium to severe cut cleaner to remove the oxidation. But after you wash it, you might want to clay it as well to get the contaminants out of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a fun project to me. You`ll definitely need to use some serious paint cleaners with that one. Wash with a good household detergent like Dawn (maybe wash twice), clay for sure, whip out the FI2 or maybe some Fine Cut Cleaner instead. Go to town on that bad boy. Follow up with some SMR and finish off with whatever wax you like. Should come out pretty nice.

Don`t worry about screwing it up because the paint`s got one foot in the grave. Use it as a learning experience and try different products and techniques. Just about anything will make it look better so don`t worry about results; you`ll get them.

Have fun!
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    74 :shocked Wow that was not a good time for GM cars they rusted very fast and very badly, i know my dad once had a 74 Nova. Look for rust at the bottom of the door skins, weel wells, rocker panels and the bottom of the quarter panels.

Good luck and have fun with that one.
    Andre`

Thread Information