Post Thanks / Like
    Well, as some people can tell I have been messing around on my truck all day. I did the acid bath earlier and was polishing when I came across these scratches. If you read my review of the C-45 Power Lift you will have read that I put some scratches in my truck by using a sponge instead of a wash mitt. I decided to do some sanding to help remove the scratches because some were pretty deep and I didn`t feel like working the area a long time with a rotary and a cutting pad.

Ok, These are the scratches that are on my bedcover. The leaf is there for my camera to focus on because the auto focus would focus on the tree and the scratches would look like little blurry lines.

Now, I colorsanded using 2000 grit paper on a rubber sanding block. I put two pieces of terry cloth towel between the sandpaper and the sanding block. The towels helped to hold water for the sanding and it also provides some more give on the sandpaper since a vehicle`s surface isn`t completely flat.

Now, I sanded for awhile and then I would add some water and use my California waterblade to scrape the water off the area I was sanding. Before the waterblade people would use windshield wipers to scrape the water away. It takes all the water off so I can see the progress I`m making. I would make a few passes with the sandpaper and then dry the area to check my progress. I kept doing this until I could no longer see the scratches.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it really shined up. Took a lot longer using a orbital but it can be done!

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :up nice work! what polishing compound did you use after sanding??:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

:up nice work! what polishing compound did you use after sanding??:xyxthumbs

I use ProWax`s Duz-All and then followed it up with ProWax`s Swirl eliminator. I used a yellow CMA pad with the DUZ-all and a white pad with the swirl eliminator.

Also, the area I sanded is now sooooo smooth. Smoother than claying ever got the paint. MMMMMM I might have to do my whole truck.

Thread Information