Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I noticed on my new car that the rear bumper had some touch up paint as well as a 1/2 circle mark on it. When I talked to my neighbour, he told me that the dealer tried to buff out the problem and probably pressed too hard on the buffer and caused the crest shape. He said that the only way would be to repaint that area and since its a silver metallic paint, there is little if anything that can be done.

I don`t have a digital camera but it can be best described as a 1/2 circle mark.

Any thoughts?
    2002 Toyota Camry LE V6 (Silver)

2001 Buick Century Custom (Beige)

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    classic buffer burn, it happens all the time when you put a direct drive rotary buffer in the hands of an inexperienced opperator. The high speed takes a bit to get used to, and if you loose control or push too hard at a bad angle, the "crest" you are speaking of is created. Unfortunately this area may be one in which the clearcoat has been compromised. Thus, you will need a repaint of the pannel.

Post Thanks / Like
    how much does it cost to have a bumper repainted? I don`t want to do this on a new car but would like to know the cost so I can ask to be compensated for that amount.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really couldn`t give you a guess as far as price in Canada...... but here in the states for an `02 camry I would have to guess right up near 400 for a quality primer/base/clear job.......

Post Thanks / Like
    He said that the only way would be to repaint that area

Well that is partially right. The major factor will be how much clear was removed. If more than .3 mil of clear was removed the clear will fail. If .3 of a mil was not removed and there is sufficent clear left to work with the damage might be able to be repaired. The only way to tell for sure will be go to a qualified shop with a electronic paint thickness gauge and have the total film build measured.

Since this is on a plastic part I would say the chances of it being repairable are not in your favor. Often the amount of clear sprayed on flexible parts is not as great as that applied to metal surfaces, thus not as much clear to work with and you can removed more than .3 mil very quickly.

If you bought the car several months ago you might have trouble collecting anything from the dealership. They could easily claim the damage was caused after the car left their possession and pay you nothing. Your best bet is to get your claim on record ASAP. The longer you wait the tougher it will be to get anything.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed this about 5 days after taking delivery. Since the dealership was about 70 miles from my house, I didn`t want to drive on the highway and waited till the car had broken in. I called them and spoke to the manager who I bought the car from and she recorded this info. 3 weeks later I broke my leg and have not driven the car in about 3 1/2 months. I should be able to drive (and walk) in a few weeks and want to take care of this.

Thread Information