Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering what kind of damage is done if you used the 6" velcro backing plate (thanks snake!) with the 5" counterweight? I noticed quite a bit of vibration when I was using the backing plate, but then it was sooo smooth when I switched to the white pad that the PC came with. I looked at the posts from way back, but there is nothing about any damage occuring. Anyone know where I can get a 6" counterweight in Canada if needed??? Thanks!
    Bill Strobel
    Owner Independent Towing & Repair
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don`t Do It At All

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t do it for long periods. You WILL do damage to the bearings and shaft in the motor.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Matt

Just picked up a hook-it pad and the 3M waffle pad @ Cross Canada on Walker rd. The pad is about 7" dia.

I noticed 2 things while using it (I have the 6" cw) If the pad isn`t perfectly centralized on the backing plate that would cause it to turn out of balance, and at a higher speed 5-6 it also vibrated with light pressure. Moderate to heavy force slowed the revolutions but was still too much. Thus I agree with Brad that it would cause damage to the bearings. Imagine a die grinder with a large wheel before truing it up. Lots of vibration and bad on the grinder.
    05_Dakota Laramie-Red

04_Pontiac Vibe-Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Delta in Guelph is Porter Cable Distributor and can probably fix you up with the cw. They are right beside #6 Hanlon Expressway not far from 401.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey buldog! How do you like the 3M Waffle pad??? Where did you purchase your PC and counterweight at?
    Bill Strobel
    Fayetteville, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Matt, got the PC 7336sp @ home depot. They ordered it in for me, took less than a week to come in. Price was about $190.00. Comes complete with the 6" cw, white polishing pad and a backing disc for sanding discs as well as a variety of sanding disc`s. I like the waffle pad, and will go back to see what other types they have. Was in a rush last Sat. just before closing time. Cross Can is open to %pm every night and noon on Sat.

The(edit) 7424 is in stock at Can. Tire @$229. so the 7336 with all the extra`s is cheaper.
    05_Dakota Laramie-Red

04_Pontiac Vibe-Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Darn! I got the 7424 last year at Canadian Tire. Never thought of home depot. It came with the 5" CW. I ordered a whole bunch of pads from Tacscar and I got the velcro plate, but I totally forgot about the CW. now I gotta look to find a 6" CW ASAP! Ahhhh, the problems I have!
    Bill Strobel
    Fayetteville, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    It just seems that UI get a heck of a lot of vibration when I use the velcro plate with a 6" pad, then I switch to the white pad that it came with and man, it runs smooth.
    Bill Strobel
    Fayetteville, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    on-line. Mine has the 5" and does vibrate A LOT with the 6" backing plate. They can`t be that expensive. Just need to know where to get them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BlackRegal

Coastal Tool had the counter-weights last I checked. Heres the kicker though... the part is like $1.79, but shipping is like $7.00.

Check out this deal...is this a really low price? Also come with a bonus package including the 6" cw. Should i jump on one of these?

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...e91+1022262231

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this a little while ago... it is pretty good and describes the counter weight/pad size issue. Maybe it`ll be of help here.

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum...threadid=10322

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this one... it isn`t that much more and if you do any home improvement project it`s really worth it. Another great part is that you have a great case to store it in. As for detailing... you just need to buy the pads, but you have to do that for the 7424 anyway.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...e91+1022196566

Thread Information