Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean, what is it that makes us obsess over a clean car, makes us fret over every new swirl we notice, or just drives us to find the perfect products with the `perfect` shine?

For me, I just can`t explain it. It just makes me feel so good to look at the car after a long day of detailing. It makes me feel that my hard work gets results; and the inclusive pride you feel when others look in awe. It`s sort of therapy, if you will, for me. Whenever I`m stressed out at something(or someone) i can always go out a throw a layer of wax on. I pamper the car as if it were a child(or a pet). Most people think I`m crazy, but I just look at their cars and smirk.

I was just curious as to what responses this question would get.

Thanks for such a great forum!

:wavey
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    The reasons are much the same for me. I can afford to have someone else do this but it relaxes me. I used to get the same sort of Zen thing out of mowing the lawn - now a gardener comes - so detailing the car is my obsession. It may look good, but it`s never perfect - always another layer of Z to put on. My wife says she`s okay with this. She tells her friends my mistress sleeps in the garage. As for the reaction of others - well it is sometimes embarrassing - the car does seem almost "too" clean making it standout. Of course, that make me worry that it will attract those key fiends.

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason I detail is because I made a huge investment in my car. Some of us have made larger investments than others but any amount of money spent on a car is an investment.

Look at it this way... If you spent $20,000 on a suit, would you ever wear it in public dirty?? I think not. What would you do with it? Would you carry a brush with you to keep the lint off it? Would you hang your jacket somewhere that a sprinkler might hit it? What would you do with it when you got home? Would you throw it in the closet or would you brush it off and hang it in a bag? Now think about the care you are giving a piece of clothing that you aren`t even planning on selling someday. Most of us are going to sell our cars sooner or later. I don`t expect that I`ll love my Acura this much forever so I`m taking good care of it so it will be worth more when I do want to sell it. Why would you treat a suit that will never be resold better than a car that you want to get your money back out of?

That`s the story that I give people when I talk to them about what I do. I love clean cars. I don`t do it for the money (obviously. If I did it for the $$ then I`d be charging more.). I do it for the cars. I think that no matter how much you paid for a car that it deserves to be clean. Neglect it for one day and you could regret it the rest of the time you own the car. Park it in the wrong spot just once and while you are trying to clean off the water spots from the sprinkler you`ll vow to take better care of it. I detail because I value my investment and want to see a return on my money someday. If I can get a little more out of my car because it looks brand new then I`ll be a happy camper. It hasn`t failed me yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just like the look of a nice clean car...........
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Chicks Love Clean Cars!

Just messing. I agree with all the reason listed above. I had nothing to add to those other than the fact that those ae all truth`s in my life of detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    yep what everyone said, its amazing how much ive learn`t over the past 10 or so years, just be we`re all educated about detailing, theres so many different products out there, its funny when you see someone at the auto cleaning section looking like :nixweiss, i dont blame them.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeppers its the "zen of detailing"...while applying polish...wax..buffing... inspecting...the problems of the world are put in order...and answers revealed...

no one can do this for you...its your path..you alone can tread it..

even the "best" detailer can not detail my car...to satisify me completely...there is ALWAYS something i would have done or not done different...thus...even if it is a 99% perfect job...i regret not doin it myself...

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer a car/truck to look new all the time if not better than new. I keep the insides very clean. Dust while driving etc.

I also have pride in ownership..I want everything I own to look their best because it is a reflection of me.

Do not look in my junk drawer, closet or garage though they do not count!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Like some of the other people have said. I am protecting my investment. I am paying alot for my car and I enjoy it ALOT. I want to enjoy the way the car looks as much as it drives.

I am also a clean person overall, I don`t know if that has anything to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok....if nobody else is going to admit the truth.....I will.... It`s called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or OCD for short. Perhaps not everyone here qualifies, but when you start PC`ing your shower doors with Klasse(or even worse, your neighbor`s), or whip out the MF at every red light, its time to admit that you have a problem.... :bounce

I would elaborate more on the psychogenincs involved but I think I spot a dust particle on my monitor and have to run for the MF. Perhaps after I finish my daily deleting of the temp folders, compressing my hard drive and checking the air im my tires I will be able to go into more depth on this issue.

H :shocked

Post Thanks / Like
    After a full detail I`m tired but the enjoyment of bringing a car back to life is all it takes. I`m relaxed, no need to rush like work.

It`s the slower pace, and the accomplishment of a job well done.

Guess my Name says it best "it`s a reflection of me" Like the old line "the shoes make the man" but in this case the car does.
    05_Dakota Laramie-Red

04_Pontiac Vibe-Black

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by drewski59

[B]I mean, what is it that makes us obsess over a clean car, makes us fret over every new swirl we notice, or just drives us to find the perfect products with the `perfect` shine?

Not very complicated. I enjoy the challenge and the pride of having an older car look better than the newer models. There is nothing better than sitting at a light or cruising down the road and having someone in a brand new car envy the meticulously detailed car that over 7 years old.

Return of investment is very questionable. Unless the model you are driving is unique the return for a clean car is only realized($$) by the dealer. The book value is the book value. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    . . . my inner-primate is fascinated by shiny objects.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Lunch money...I have a big diet......

Post Thanks / Like
    In Boston, MA a hard days detailing money (125.00) can be dumped into 4-5 days food here in town with no problem. If you eat alot and live in NY, you better sell your house for some food money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information