Thread: 3m vs Meguiars

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a new PC and I am awaiting the pads to come from CMA before I try it out on the families cars.

I was lookign through the possible products to use for blemish and swirl removal made by 3m and Meg. I have 3m SMR coming in with the pads from CMA but while I was at the store today I was looking at the meguiars line and decided to buy #9 and #2 (the swirl mark remover and the fine cut).

The reason I bought the Meg fine cut over FI II was because I had the cash on hand for the meg and the FI II was about 4 bucks more.

My question is, have any of you done a comparison of the MEg Fine Cut to the 3m FI II. My WRX has minor swirls and wont need either of those but my mom`s sebring is very neglected and will need something stronger than a SMR.

So when my kit comes in I will have Meg #9 and #2 and 3m SMR to work on my cars.

Any suggestions?

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    I have compared 3M FII against the Meguiars medium cut, the Medium cut is more abrasive than the 3M FII. At a guess the Meg Fine cut would be less abrasive than the 3M FII.

I would use the #9 on the WRX. Having a black WRX I can tell you 3M FII causes hazing, but I always follow up with swirl remover, usually Meg Gold Class Prep and Swirl Remover - so go with #9.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody else?

CMA kit coming soon hehe.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    I have them all except for the #9. I need to do a big time detail on my car so I`ll try em and let ya know. My guess right now is that the most aggressive will be the #2, followed by the FI2 then the SMR.

I`ll use my PC and the white pads for the comparo.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, Meguiars Body Shop Professional line is better than their Mirror Glaze line and 3Ms professional line, IMO.

Dual Action Cleaner/Polish is as aggressive as Fine Cut, but due to the diminishing abrasives, ultimately more gentle on the finish. Swirl Free is noticably better than #9. More oils and faster results. I completely switched to the Body Shop products over the Mirror Glaze line about 3 years ago and I would never go back. Not because the Mirror Glaze line is bad, but because the Body Shop line is superior.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information