Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    At http://www.autopia-carport.com/Detai...es/Washing.htm David says quick detailing is a good alternative to washing, to lessen the amount of washing that needs to be done...Maybe MF allows wiping with water and quick detailers to NOT scratch the surface of a dirty car, but is this something to be afraid of? I like the idea of `washing ` this way without shampoo, but, i thought it was a sure way to scratch the surface...Is it the MF cloths which allows us to wash this way safely?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi paul e,

I think David meant, if your car has light dust on it. If you have a daily driver and have not washed it for a week then, a quick detail is not an option. If you do a quick detail say 1-2 days after you wash your car then it`s ok. The reason why micro fiber cloths are superior over cotton cloths is that they have interval spaces between the fibers that will allow dust to be trapped in the cloth. Unlike, cotton cloths where there is very limited area where dust can be trapped so the dust is rolled or pushed over the surfaces which case in point will more than likely causes scratches. Micro fiber towels minimizes these chances. Remember, quick details are great for light dust on the car but a no no when there is dirt. And use a micro fiber towel.

Aloha,

~Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    I have my own personal motto that I follow for this type of thing: When in doubt, wash. :xyxthumbs
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    . Remember, quick details are great for light dust on the car but a no no when there is dirt

Hell, for just dust, its a hell of a lot easier to gently wisk a Cal Duster over the surface, isnt it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi paul e,

Using a Cal Duster will actually be worse than using a quick detail spray and a micro fiber towel. I personally, think a quality quick detail spray like Zaino Z6, Meguiar`s Final Inspection, or One Grand Show Off and a quality micro fiber towel will be the best route. The Cal Duster does not lock dust or dirt, it just gets stuck and is rubbed back and forth your paint. Definitely will scratch your car and cause swirl marks. You are welcome to try the Cal Duster but don`t tell me I didn`t warn you....:nixweiss

Aloha,

~Ranney

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s Final Inspection after using the CA Car Duster has been part of my car care for at least 10 years. If there has been only dust acumulation with no moisture, it works quite well for me. Car Duster each day and Final Inspection after about the third day. When I have time, Final Inspection every day.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by paul e

Hell, for just dust, its a hell of a lot easier to gently wisk a Cal Duster over the surface, isnt it?

I would recommend using a CCD as part of your QD routine anyway. The Duster will safely take away the dust, but afterwards, you should spray some QD on your car and buff to a shine if you really want to make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Paul e

Don`t know where you`re located , but here in Belgium it`s quite simple : you allmost never QD : too much dust and industrial fallout.

The only times I QD is in between Z-ing and a single time the day after I washed the car to get MINOR dust off.

Better safe then sorry , that`s my motto!

Recently I`ve been on a campingtrip with my Cabanon campingtrailer, the campingspot was only 130 miles away , but by the time I got there the front of the car was a bug-graveyard

When the evening came and the car cooled down , the only option was to remove the bugsplatters before they baked in , I did this with a home-prepared spritzbottle with Z-shampoo and water, they came off real easy!!!:up

I did clean-up the spot after that with QD.

OT: as I arrived on the campingspot , my neighbour there congratted me with my new car.He could hardly beleive that it was 14 months old...

Post Thanks / Like
    I basicly spray my black Cobra off at the manual car wash once a week.Hand wash once or twice a month. (depending on time of year) Spring means pollen-summer means dust-fall means leaves, winter means it`s going to be covered most of the time. The Cal Duster is OK for minute dust...but I don`t use it to "clean." I only use QD after it is clean. I never let the dust or dirt acumilate. If I can`t get it clean by spraying at the car wash, I`s too dirty and needs hand washing. Also interstate driving is usually worsre than "around town" If you spray your vehichle off and your drying towel or shammy is getting dirty, you need to hand wash. That`s why a good SG is important. I agree with Pakshak about the CD. It more times than not just pushes the dust and dirt. My main fear about QD to clean is that you are to some exstent "rubbing the dirt into the paint" The CD & QD main purpose for me is on my already clean paint. If I go to a car show, my paint is already clean, I just continue the use the CD, QD & a MF cloth through out the day to maintain my cleanliness and shine. I never just wake up, go out and jump on it with a QD & towel."showroom has a good theory.....when in doubt......WASH!

It`s just what works for me:down

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PakShak

Hi paul e,

Using a Cal Duster will actually be worse than using a quick detail spray and a micro fiber towel. I personally, think a quality quick detail spray like Zaino Z6, Meguiar`s Final Inspection, or One Grand Show Off and a quality micro fiber towel will be the best route. The Cal Duster does not lock dust or dirt, it just gets stuck and is rubbed back and forth your paint. Definitely will scratch your car and cause swirl marks. You are welcome to try the Cal Duster but don`t tell me I didn`t warn you....:nixweiss

Aloha,

~Ranney
    The Cali Duster will NOT cause surface marring if used properly and for the appropriate situation. For light dust it should be used prior to Qd`ing with a MF or good cotton towel. These items should be used in tantum. Spraying QD on a dusty car and wiping with anything is just another form of "wet sanding" :scared. You can use a MF to initially remove dust but the Cali duster is better suited for the job and more efficient ( less contact time on finish).

If in doubt ... WASH!! A dirty swirl-free finish always looks better than a clean marred finish. At least to this Autopian.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick detailing as an alternative to washing

If useing a Cali duster just remember that the paint surface must be COOL. A hot surface will make it scratch easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Epic thread bump!
    Likes Marc08EX, Ronkh, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use my old cali duster for cobwebs i cant reach in the garage

I think that is what it is best suited for

IMO of course

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, glfnaz, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imported_memnuts View Post
    Spraying QD on a dusty car and wiping with anything is just another form of "wet sanding" :scared.
    So, are you against waterless washes and Rinsless washes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfordisbetter View Post
    Epic thread bump!
    14 years later we still talk the same talk....
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Oldfordisbetter liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information