Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve noticed over the past week or so several posts about carnauba. Some here seem to praise it, while others miserably ridicule it claiming it will not last long at all and the oils are the only thing that make it special. My question is, what seems to be the overall opinion on it? Sometimes I find it discouraging to even consider putting Blitz (which I thought was a great wax) on my car as some claim it attracts too much dust and won`t last long at all. I even shelled out a good amount of cash for Souveran and now some claim that this wax isn`t the best either because it`s durability is lacking. I`m one of those people that loves to wax and I don`t mind doing it so often. But I sometimes get the feeling from this board that carnauba waxes are "bad", and that the possibility that it could "melt" off my car during an afternoon in the sun leaves me worried that I might be exposing my car to possible contamination if I do choose to use a carnauba wax. Sometimes I don`t even feel comfortable mentioning the word "carnauba" on this board anymore... :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not create a poll and let Autopians vote on this subject? This is one of those philosophical discussions that seems to get recreated monthly. I think if you do some searching you`ll find many threads with Autopians extolling the virtues of their favorite product while dissing everything else. Just the way life is with car care products.

Go to Member Polls and create a new one. Then you can see what everyone thinks.

Personal Note: What you`re asking is strictly personal preference. Everyone has an opinion but expecting some kind of consensus is a tad naive. Seems to me you`re worrying about too many things, many of which are out of your control. Lighten up and enjoy the process and results. This is supposed to be fun, remember?
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is an interesting perception. From what I`ve seen on the board people still really like carnuba. I`ll never be without it. I haven`t experienced any downside of it. It does everything that I expect it to do. The people that are getting dissapointed with it are people that are expecting it to do something that it won`t. If you expect carnuba to last for 6 months then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It provides a beautiful wet look and a glow that is really amazing. I can`t live without my carnuba. I take the good with the bad as far as that product is concerned.

Post Thanks / Like
    carnuba`s are not BAD, but they have a place in detailing. With today`s polymer technology, they are quickly becoming "old school" when considering the best and safest protection for your car. I would not use carnuba wax on an outdoor daily driver. It does not provide the protection, durability, and UV protection that today`s paint`s need. The only reason why I would use a carnuba wax on a garaged car was if it was because I preferred the muted look they have over a polymer system which tends to be more reflective, look like fresh paint, and show the paint as it really is. The Blackfire writeup gives a good review on when, and where carnuba`s fall short.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JM19

I`ve noticed over the past week or so several posts about carnauba. Some here seem to praise it, while others miserably ridicule it claiming it will not last long at all and the oils are the only thing that make it special. My question is, what seems to be the overall opinion on it? Sometimes I find it discouraging to even consider putting Blitz (which I thought was a great wax) on my car as some claim it attracts too much dust and won`t last long at all. I even shelled out a good amount of cash for Souveran and now some claim that this wax isn`t the best either because it`s durability is lacking. I`m one of those people that loves to wax and I don`t mind doing it so often. But I sometimes get the feeling from this board that carnauba waxes are "bad", and that the possibility that it could "melt" off my car during an afternoon in the sun leaves me worried that I might be exposing my car to possible contamination if I do choose to use a carnauba wax. Sometimes I don`t even feel comfortable mentioning the word "carnauba" on this board anymore... :nixweiss

Anyone who bash`s wax doesn`t really know too much about detailing. It is true, the main reason why people use wax nowadays is because of the shine, not the protection. Ever since polymers came out you have the protection aspect covered. Wax cannot top a polymer in protection but it CAN top it in shine. That`s why it`s used. There are also people like myself who do not drive there cars alot and WANT to detail their car every weekend. Those people like to use wax because it shines better, they don`t care about how long it`ll last, it`s actually FUN because it goes on so easy and comes off as easy as it went on.

I doubt you`d lose 100% of your wax on one hot sunny day, it`ll take alot longer than that. It`s true, if it`s hot and your car is a daily driver, your best bet is a polymer. Even if it is 95 degree`s everyday and your car is sitting in the sun all day, all you need to do is apply one layer of wax a week and your car will always looks great. You could possibly go two weeks.

You car is exposed to oil, tar, sun, bugs, bird crap and every other thing you wish never could touch your paint on a daily basis whether you have a polymer or not. Last time I checked the acid in bird crap will go through your polymer sealent in 5 minutes under the right conditions.

Wax is great, it is as good or better than polymer`s depending on how you manage your car. I could not live without it. Some people don`t need a polymer. Your getting alot of people talking badly about wax because they have everyday cars that need protection. If you go to a fourm with people who hardly drive their show cars that sit in their garage for weeks or months at a time they`ll tell you that you an put the polymer on the shelf and they`ll stick with their wax.

It`s about what you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    I said it before different people different opinions! I love souvern I also love carnuba..........I am a big fan of MEGUIRES products since I wax once a week it will give you a great shine but preping the car is the MOST inportant

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ALAN81

I said it before different people different opinions! I love souvern I also love carnuba..........I am a big fan of MEGUIRES products since I wax once a week it will give you a great shine but preping the car is the MOST inportant

Alan81 is like me, he is out there every weekend. There`s not much a polymer can do for him that a full detail once a week can`t handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t mind putting a layer of carnuba on every 2 or 3 weeks. It helps me know my car better. I`ve named every door ding in my car by now. Carnuba is for people that don`t mind spending the time with their car. If you want to be lazy and just want to wax your car once a year or something, then definatly stay away from carnubas. I really don`t think such a product exists that will give you shine and protection for a full year with one application anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    My motto is : Use what YOU like.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing wrong with carnuaba waxes. There are some great products out there. The polymer/ carnuaba wars are about preference of appearance. There is no comparison in terms of durability. I use both types and even use both on one of my cars (P21S and Zaino). On my garage queen I use a polymer sealant not for the durability but for its appearance :nixweiss. Even though I love Zaino I think the best combination is probably Klasse with the optional carnuaba topper. This way you get your polymer and carnuaba fixes.

The bottom line is there is nothing wrong with carnuaba if used properly and within its limitations ( durability, lack of UV protectant,etc) and expectations ( evenness of finish, trueness to color hue, reflectivity, etc.).

Dust.... Dust will settle on both polymered and carnuaba`d cars. It just does not stick to polymers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree 110% with joed1228, great post and well said!

There`s nothing inherently bad from using a carnauba, unless it`s loaded with the wrong types of silicones. It`s all about presonal preference and needs in a car care product. Some like the looks of certain carnaubas, some strictly prefer polymers, others prefer polymers with carnauba toppers, still others prefer poylmers that mimic the look of carnauba. The choices are endless, and that`s what makes every finish unique.

To add to SL`s motto, I like to say, "Use what you like, and like what you use!"

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JM19

Sometimes I find it discouraging to even consider putting Blitz (which I thought was a great wax) on my car as some claim it attracts too much dust and won`t last long at all. I even shelled out a good amount of cash for Souveran and now some claim that this wax isn`t the best either because it`s durability is lacking. I`m one of those people that loves to wax and I don`t mind doing it so often.

It`s way too early to tell, but after having Blitz on my wife`s black bimmer for 4 days I haven`t noticed any extra-amount of static or dust than before. But again, it`s way too early to make that kind of assessment.

Souveran isn`t one of your more durable waxes but I certainly didn`t think the durability was so poor that using it on a daily driver was impractical or unmanageable. I just consider it a trade-off with its ease of use. A lot will also depend on how you wash your car. If you don`t mind applying it once a month, then you won`t have any problems.

With that said, let me also say that my Zaino`d car is on the opposite end of the spectrum. I hardly ever worry about it...I pile on the Z-7 when washing it, I never have to check for diminishment in shine or estimate when it`ll need a new coat and I know it will always have the best protection available at all times.

Joed,

Did you get hit with a moment of clarity and enlightenment? Great post!! :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Carnauba

tastes great...Less filling...tastes great...less filling..........

Personal preference ain`t it great we have a free society!:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Intermezzo

Joed,

Did you get hit with a moment of clarity and enlightenment? Great post!! :up

I have all these great idea`s in my head but I can`t ever get them out, I don`t know, I guess I`m slow when it comes to explaining things. Once in a while I`ll just word something I am thinking the right way and everyone will understand. It`s rare but it does happen, 2 good post`s out of 1,000 + is pretty good for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blitz alive in 1950!

Blitz alive in 2000!

Blitz alive in 2050? I`ll put good money on it!

Product longevity is my personal guage.
    As Soon As I saw That Guys Cars Dirty I Knew He Was Going To Be A Failure! Donald Trump - The Apprentice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information