Post Thanks / Like
    Okay....I don`t believe this is the fault of some tire dressing, wouldn`t it wear off the tread in the first block?? This was written on another list :

Subject: Devil`s from the detail

So, my nuke engineer buddy, and all around good guy, had

his Acura detailed a couple of weeks ago, up in the Tri-Cities, Washington

area.

They apparently made it really sparkle, including the tires, used a lot of

goop that made them shiny and black, so much that it ran onto the

tread...you know where THIS is going> Into the center divider on the first

freeway onramp. Car`s totaled, air bag broke the driver`s right hand, but

the tires are still shiny.

Somebody on this list will be using that stuff this weekend, same as I did

last. Use it sparingly, and keep it off the tread! Word to the wise, and

to the rest of us.

Joe

Well, what do y`all think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive had this happen on motorcycle tires, but not cars:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    The car wash that I go to sometimes in the winter months (Frozen hoses suck) usually paints that goop on everybody`s tires, (none for me please) anyway, every time you leave their parking lot, (on to a very main road) you slide, (whether you got the goop or not), that crap get`s all over the street due to it dripping off of peoples tires (Not fun in a RWD 240). So....... believable? Very. Hmm, maybe I`ll rent a car and...... umm nevermind. Something to do with lawsuits and a very sue happy society. Even though it is pretty much a cut and dry case. DAMN YOU CONSCIENCE!!!!
    1997 240sx

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, just as a sort of example: Today after I got finished mowing the lawn I was looking for something fun to do like usual, so I sprayed some old Armorall on the mower tires. The treads on it are very much like that on a normal car tire. I sprayed it on liberally all over the tread and let it sit. I then came back a while later and felt the tires and they were of course greasy. So I sprayed on a bunch more and drove onto some smooth blacktop. I then proceeded to put the mower in its top gear in reverse and started cutting some wild doughnuts Now, a week or so ago I discovered how well I can do doughnuts in reverse on the mower (tires spin faster and stay on the ground better). Usually it just goes around in tight circles backward and the tire spins. NOW, with the Armorall on there, it goes crazy! I immediately noticed the difference. The tires spun super fast and squeeled a little bit, and left black marks! I believe I even saw small little chunks come off the tires, but that may have been something in the road :nixweiss Then I slammed on the brake and the tires locked and slid to a stop. They never did that before. And I`ve tried doing this same experiment with water and didnt receive these effects.

So in conclusion, I think it would be perfectly logical for the same thing happen to a vehicle (as long as the stuff got ON the tread, not down between it at least)

Have a nice day and keep it on the sidewall!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Rcs476

...every time you leave their parking lot, (on to a very main road) you slide, (whether you got the goop or not), that crap get`s all over the street due to it dripping off of peoples tires (Not fun in a RWD 240).

Yes! This happened to me as well. I almost lost control of my car on a very busy road. Haven`t been to a carwash in several years now.

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the name of the detailer that he went to. I`ve been looking for a detailer in the Tri-cities area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I kinda doubt you`re going to get an answer to your question, as the last post before yours was over four years ago!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a friend of a friend who was stupid and applied wheel shine on the WHOLE WHEELS!!!! couldn`t stop and slammed into a tree

Thread Information