One Trick Pony
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have just recently become obsessed with the look of my cars boat etc. In the process I have done a lot of research and found this site to be very helpful. In the process of doing my research I located a portable water softner that is used for the RV industry. It available from camping world for about $250. I live in SoCal and have extremely hard water, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 grains. this softner has changed my water to 2 grains. The manufacturer is a company called Franko in Minnesota. I called them and they have refurbished units available for $150. The unit is really easy to use I can wash my Excursion, Boat, and Expedition 20 times before having to recharge it with 4lbs of ice cream rock salt. The number for Franko is. 800 967 1762

they are in Luvern, MN

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get a new one or a refurbished one? What on that thing could be refurbished? Looks like no real moving parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, sounds good. I`m sure it works better than my "As seen on TV" Revlutionizer. That thing I use looks kinda stupid and barley sprays enough water out. I feel dumb using that thing in public.
    Joe Rush

Blue-Black Metallic

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

----------------------------

Wild Strawberry

1990 Ford Mustang GT

One Trick Pony
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the refurb. The only things taht they ever have to fix is the valve and they said that it was rare.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean about the hard water! Can you provide more info.? What is the basic setup, how does it affect water pressure?

One Trick Pony
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hook my hose from the house into this tank with quick connects. I then connect the softner to a 2700 PSI power washer I bought at costco. the softer flows at 6gpm and the washer flows at 5spm. it works well. no spotting. I have hardness strips that I check the flow with periodically and I rechage the tank after washing my car and boat 20 times (propbably could go longer) to rechage the tank all you have to do is backflush the tank and pour ice cream rock salt into the tank. after you put the salt into the tank you flush it with a 1gpm flow for 20 minutes (until you cannot taste salt) and you are good to go.:bounce the water is no longer hard:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    So for those of us who are gpm challenged, is 6gpm still adequate water pressure or is the pressure washer required to make this system usable?

One Trick Pony
    Post Thanks / Like
    no you do not need the pressure washer. I just bought it because I have a 32 foot boat and it makes it easier for me to wash it. street flow is approximately 4.5 to 5 gpm through 3/4 in pipe or hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW.....GPM is flow and PSI is pressure

Interesting fact:

Hp = GPM * PSI / 1714 / Mechanical Efficiency of pump

SO for those with Pressure washers you should be able to check out the PSI and GPM available for a given Hp.

Thread Information