Post Thanks / Like
    Love those sensationalistic subject lines.

Below is the description of FORMULA 2001 Super Protectant from the turtle wax site. It says on the bottle it can be used on: vinyl, plastic, and leather. Any reviews or opinions?

FORMULA 2001® Super Protectant deeply penetrates to bring out the original color as it conditions and protects surfaces from drying, cracking, and fading. This unique concentration formula contains SUN-STOP®, one of the most advanced ingredients you can use to guard against harmful ultraviolet rays. Nothing shines better or lasts longer than FORMULA 2001®..the urethane-enriched protection of the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    :nono Not really funny:argue
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I once tried a Formula 2001 protectant, not quite sure which one it was, and after using it on 2 different occasion, i threw the rest in the trash. The reason? After applying the product to a clean terry towel, and applying it over my dash, i noticed everywhere small white liquid filled crystals all over my dash. I picked up a few with my finger, and when i squeezed them, a white liquid came out. They were about the size of a top of a pin. I used a different towel over the dash with no protectant on it, but the crystals didnt go away. I proceeded to clean the dash with some warm water and dawn, and then applied it over again, but same thing occured. I go so mad, i threw the bottle in the trash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have actually used this product on the vinyl seats etc on my boat. I have never had any real problems with it. I used it on the seats, vinyl padding, etc all around the interior. These areas usually take a beating from the sun. The one thing I did find was that I had to shake the bottle pretty good before using it.

After finding this forum, I will probably try something like 303 etc since I need something with UV protection.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I now use it on the trunk mat - shines it up nice and it can smell like amorall as much as it wants back there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. It does claim to have a UV filter component to it, but as Ron Ketchum told me it really only deflects the UV rays so they aren`t absorbed entirley (at least that what I got out of his excellent reply).

I just hear everyone talk about 303 and Vinylex and am wondering from a chemical stand point what the difference was. My thoughts are that like many consumer products that are sometimes made in the same plant using very similar components but marketed differently these products might not differ by much. Similar to the Walgreens brand pain reliever or acid reducer and that of major (and more expensive) manufacturers.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a terrible product! I bought some a long time ago(before I knew the TRUTH about silicones). I put ONE coat on the van`s dash, and when the sun hits it, you can clearly see the browning effect(the dash will never be the same )

It contains `trilicone` or some silicone TW has patented...

I threw it in the trash, too.

If you don`t want to spend a lot on a protectant, I suggest the new AA Interior "Greaseless" formula. It contains PDMS(the good silicone) and leaves a nice matte finish:xyxthumbs

I`ve been using with no bad luck so far...
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well everyone has scared me enough with the dreaded "bad silicone" terminology that I am not going to apply it on my auto just yet. I have however written both turtle wax and 303 asking about the silicone components in their products. I am also going try to get some chemists to field this "good silicone" vs "bad silicone" debate. I greatly appreciate the feedback, wisdom, and thoughts from everyone at this forum. I will post the response I get from both the various manufacturers and the chemists.

Kelly

Thread Information