Post Thanks / Like
    I have an new Absolutely Red (no clearcoat) IS300 (2k miles), and what wondering which type of swirlmark remover i would use. I`ve seen the 3M in light and dark colors, but am not sure exactly what red qualifies for?

Should i go with the Light or Dark stuff?

Thanks!
    02 Red IS300

i hope you are using a PC to apply this. I would go with SMR for dark cars, if you are doing this by hand I would recommend #9 2.0. My IS300 has 2K miles, but no swirlies. Listen your car has clearcoat, this has been discussed many times and the majority says it has clearcoat. Have u tested it to see if it doesnt have one?

BTW, how do u like the car? I love mine! 2002 Millenium Silver Metallic IS300 5SPD.

Post Thanks / Like
    i thought i read somthing on the IS300 forum saying that Red didn`t come w/ a clearcoat...but i may be mistaken. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but ho do i test to see if i do infact have a clear coat?

Another newbie question...what is PC and SMR?

Thanks!

Btw, I like the car so far...it seems like it will be a lot of fun when I get a few more miles. I still haven`t really quite bonded w/ her yet. I think i`m still in mourning about the loss of my 99 prelude sh (RIP)
    02 Red IS300

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia.

I can`t imagine any Lexus without a clearcoat paint job. Heck, I can`t imagine any Toyota without a clearcoat paint job. It`s not their style. But, to test for one, use a product that has some paint cleaning ability (do you have some cleaner-wax?), rub a little on an inconspicuous area like a door jamb. If paint color shows on the applicator, you do not have a clearcoat paint job. No color = clearcoat. Simple as that.

As for acronyms, on the Home page there is a link on the left column for Autopia Acronyms. If yer gonna hang with us, ya gots to know the lingo
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ludeless

i thought i read somthing on the IS300 forum saying that Red didn`t come w/ a clearcoat...but i may be mistaken. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but ho do i test to see if i do infact have a clear coat?

I`ve heard of the high end black Lexus`s being done with a one step acrylic laquer but red`s a new one on me.

Stop in at the dealership & talk to the bodyshop foreman, he should be able to tell you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bretfraz

[B]Welcome to Autopia.

I can`t imagine any Lexus without a clearcoat paint job. Heck, I can`t imagine any Toyota without a clearcoat paint job. It`s not their style. But, to test for one, use a product that has some paint cleaning ability (do you have some cleaner-wax?), rub a little on an inconspicuous area like a door jamb. If paint color shows on the applicator, you do not have a clearcoat paint job. No color = clearcoat. Simple as that.

Here`s the info and link from the IS300 forum...

"Neither Black, Red, or Yellow have clearcoat. The colors are the identical formulas and process as the Toyota MR2 Spyder. It was `discovered` some months ago by Spyder owners and caused an uproar over on SpyderChat.com. All of the other colors do have clearcoat. Good reason to keep those colors in particular well waxed."

and the link...

http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic...289605&forum=1
    02 Red IS300

Post Thanks / Like
    Strange, it probably does have one. The people on the Lexus forum might mean some dealer-applied sealant that they call, "clear coat." I would simply follow Bret`s advice and see if any paint comes off while applying an abrasive such as 3M SMR.

~bw

Post Thanks / Like
    so if paint does come off it does or does not have a clearcoat?

Any reccomendations as to which smr i would need to use if i ever do this?

After a good wash last weekend there were no swirl marks so i`m good now But this clear coat thing has me intrigued. I really don`t think anyone on is300.net meant a dealer applied option...there have been quite a few possts about it saying that red and a couple other colors do not have clear coat paint
    02 Red IS300

Post Thanks / Like
    Ignore that part...i didn`t catch the answer to this in the earlier post.

Originally posted by ludeless

so if paint does come off it does or does not have a clearcoat?

02 Red IS300

Post Thanks / Like
    I know in 1999 Lexus Black was definitely not clearcoated. I am not sure about the other two colors or other years as I have not dealt with them.

Thread Information