Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I have a black 1997 Nissan 240sx. Of course there are a bunch of swirl marks on it. There are also some minor surface scratches. I want to get rid of these.

I have a PC 7424 that I am dying to try out, I am just waiting on my pads from CMA.

I also have a Souveran kit on order which includes PPCL.

Ok here`s the question, what kind of abrasive should I use, and which pads from the CMA accessory kit should I use with the abrasives? 3m Perfect it? I have a Meguiars SMR, I think it`s 2.0 or something like that...

If someone could give me a step by step on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    1997 240sx

Post Thanks / Like
    For smaller swirls I would use the 3M SMR or the Meguiars 2.0 product.

For larger scratches or single deep swirl marks I would use the 3M SMR Finesse It-II by hand. This way you can treat just the affected area with more pressure without treating a huge 8 inch by 8 inch area. Make sure you rub it alot and use a good deal of pressure. If 2-3 applications of this does not work step up to the 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound, that stuff works pretty well.

Take it a little at a time for the scratches. It`s better for the clearcoat because you only use the force you need to, no need for overkill. I find it even better if you start off with a weaker product because you learn exactly how many applications of what product you need and you learn more of an in-depth way how to apply the product. Just using a strong product and fixing the problem is not the solution, you want to learn why and how it works. After doing this with all types of products on all types of defects and surfaces you sort of put the "detailing puzzle" together and your making up combos like your a detailing doctor or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post, joed.

However, I am not sure I`d recommend using a lot of pressure when applying products by hand, depending on the applicator and technique used. My limited experience with hand polishing has led me to believe that heavy pressure, especially with a thin foam pad, can and often will lead to hazing or marring of the paint.

Use a thicker applicator or a technique that allows you to apply very even pressure across the surface and don`t apply very heavy pressure. Let the abrasive do the work! The harder you push, the more it cuts into the surface unevenly and the deeper the hazing you will be left with.

JMO -- comments welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by joed1228 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>For smaller swirls I would use the 3M SMR or the Meguiars 2.0 product.

For larger scratches or single deep swirl marks I would use the 3M SMR Finesse It-II by hand. This way you can treat just the affected area with more pressure without treating a huge 8 inch by 8 inch area. Make sure you rub it alot and use a good deal of pressure. If 2-3 applications of this does not work step up to the 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound, that stuff works pretty well.

Take it a little at a time for the scratches. It`s better for the clearcoat because you only use the force you need to, no need for overkill. I find it even better if you start off with a weaker product because you learn exactly how many applications of what product you need and you learn more of an in-depth way how to apply the product. Just using a strong product and fixing the problem is not the solution, you want to learn why and how it works. After doing this with all types of products on all types of defects and surfaces you sort of put the "detailing puzzle" together and your making up combos like your a detailing doctor or something. [/b]</blockquote>
    Thanks for your response.
    So should I use the PC for the smaller ones? If so, what pads should I use?
    1997 240sx

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the reason why I said use heavy pressure is:

We can presume it will 100 units of force to fix a swirl correct?

Each pass of the PC with SMR is 25 units of force.

Each pass of the SMR by hand with light pressure is 5 units.

Each pass of the SMR by hand with moderate to heavy pressure is 15 units.

I just always felt that the product by hand will not work as well as the PC due to the machine doing it`s job faster than a human hand can so a little extra pressure by hand will help work the product in better BUT still not work as well as the PC machine.

This is just how I always thought of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would treat the smaller area by hand since a sratch can be as small as once inch in lenght and there is not need to use that huge pad to fix such a tiny area of your paint. If I need to use pressure I use it ONLY on the area that needs it, I don`t like to use it on the area that already looks perfect.

Your swirls seem pretty bad, I would try the yellow pad with some 3M Perfect It fine rubbing compound liquid.

My father has a 1998 Chevrolet Express Van which I detailed over the weekend. I worked from 8 am until 3 pm and I was only able to tackle 50% of the the van. I have to pass over each panel 3 times with the PC at speed 6 (the highest) with the 3M Perfect It fine rubbing compound with alot of pressure and it was hardly fixing the swirls each time I passed over the area. Your going to need to work the product in ALOT and keep working it in.

It`s tough but once you "fix" your surface you`ll just be "upkeeping" it when light swirls arise.

Thread Information