Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to be cleaning some very very bad interiors. Will a 6 1/5 horsepower shop vac be strong enough to suck all the black grime out of the rugs?

I just hope I have a cleaner up to the task. I can`t find the Prestone carpet cleaner in ANY store within a 60 mile radius of me. Trust me, I`ve looked.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Hp limit on a 120Vac 15 amp outlet is approximately 2.4 Hp. Anything more and the circuit breaker will trip.

For 240 VAC and 20 amp outlet max approximate is 6.4 Hp.

Post Thanks / Like
    So why don`t people just go out and buy 2.4 HP vacs? They all buy the 6 + hp models.

Your telling me I will never run above 2.4 HP???

I don`t know, it doesn`t sound like 2.4 HP is strong enough to do a decent job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it is Marketing Hp or something. I cannot explain it but I thought I would bring it to your attention.

I think you will find most vacs work well enough if you brush the carpet first with a carpet brush and vacuum often.

I use a little 5gallon Shop vac and it works fine which on the box says peaks at 1.5 hp.

Too really check the vacs I say read the motor label as it will give an amperage & volt rating of the motor. This info can be used to calc actual motor Hp.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I had a 1.5HP Craftsman Shop Vac a few years ago, and it was the worst vacuum I ever had. My parent`s Electrolux canister vac had more power than that thing did. It wouldn`t suck-up the dirt, it just sort of lifted and repositioned it...

So, I bought a 5.25 HP Craftsman, and I love it - the thing would suck the paint off of my house if I got it too close. But I`m confused - If it`s only running at around 2.5 HP, how can it be sooooo much stronger than the other one???

Post Thanks / Like
    Design of the fan, hose diameter, hose length, hose end, extension cord wire gage are some factors that will affect vacuuming.

Geek when you get back home read the motor nameplate and post what it says about volts and amps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got this one a few weeks ago. Says 3.0 peak HP and pulls 8A. Seems like it’s got plenty of power to me. Has a 20’ 10AWG/2 cord. Pretty cool unit and didn’t break the bank.

SJS

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00917757000

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info about the models you own as well as the amp/volt ratings. I will be sure to check them out. I think I`ll end up buying one of the 6 + horsepower models. You should see the rugs I need to clean, they have the car for 3-5 years and never had it shampoo`d. They are really really bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    8.0 amps at 120 VAC = 1.29 Hp.

Here is the formula for AC voltage single phase motors:

Amps x Voltsx x PF = watts

Where PF = power factor (I use 1.0 to give maximum watt ratings)

Now 1 watt = .00134 Hp

This is all straight from an electric handbook.

For 3 phase motors:

1.73 x amps x Volts x PF

I bet when they say Hp they mean peak like for a millisecond. I wonder what they are refering too.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not using anything that can suck the paint off a house on my headliner or my upholstery, that`s just me. IMO, 6/5 is a enough on our cars.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    I already have a really weak vac for the headliner. I don`t see anyone around my neck of the woods with stained roofs though....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 7 amp, 3.0 peak HP Shop Vac that is noticably stronger than the 1.5 peak HP one I used to have and on par with the (discontinued) Sears model that finally died on me a few weeks ago.

The 3.0 HP vac is more than strong enough to lift the mats up off the carpet.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not to quick with these amps, voltages, marketing types of stuff, but I can tell you there is a big difference between my 2 gallon 1.5 hp protable vac and the 16 gallon 6.25 hp vac mentioned at the start of this thread.

This 16 gallon vac really sucks! Literally it SUCKS well!

I give it my thumbs up. :up

(Hopefully we are talking about the Rigid 16 gallon 6.25 hp Shop Vac.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a huge wet dry vac, sometimes it can suck jason up if i am not looking around to see what i am doing.

speaking of vacuums, did everyone see the movie "scary movie" when he uses the vacuum cleaner to please him self.. one of the funniest movies i have seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by NY detailer [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>speaking of vacuums, did everyone see the movie "scary movie" when he uses the vacuum cleaner to please him self.. one of the funniest movies i have seen. [/b]</blockquote>The guys and I were just talking about that very scene at dinner a little while ago. What a coincidence! :wavey
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information